cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Ptc_d can't connect to lmgrd on Windows Server 2012 (-96,461)

ArneEmilsson
1-Newbie

Ptc_d can't connect to lmgrd on Windows Server 2012 (-96,461)

We've been upgrading our servers and now I need to move the licensing for Mathcad Prime 3.0 as well.

The new server is a Windows Server 2012 r2 and I'm trying to install lmadmin 11.11.1. (Same error with lmgrd 11.11, 10.8 both manual installation and setup) 

The lmadmin installer just reports the server as unreachable, but looking through the logs show this (same behavior & error as other versions tested):

lmadmin.log

2016-02-13 14:56:26,488 root Version: 11.12.1.1 build 148864 (2014.04.25-04.26.06)

2016-02-13 14:56:26,488 root.LicenseEngine started without redundancy.

2016-02-13 14:56:36,609 root.Vendor (ptc_d) stopped.

2016-02-13 14:56:36,609 root.LicenseEngine (ptc_d) exited with status 28. (Communications error)

2016-02-13 14:56:46,781 root.Vendor (ptc_d) stopped.

2016-02-13 14:57:06,970 root.Vendor (ptc_d)maximum number of start retry is reached.

ptc_d.log

14:56:56 (ptc_d) Using options file: "C:\Program Files\PTC\FLEXnet Admin License Server\licensing\ptc.opt"

14:56:56 (ptc_d) Server started on FILESERVER for: 254

14:56:56 (ptc_d) 255 256 257

14:56:56 (ptc_d) MATHCAD

14:56:56 (ptc_d) EXTERNAL FILTERS are OFF

14:56:56 (ptc_d) ALL FEATURES: INACTIVITY TIMEOUT set to 7200 seconds

14:56:56 (ptc_d) Report log started (+C:\Program Files\PTC\FLEXnet Admin License Server\logs\ptcreport.log).

14:57:06 (ptc_d) Vendor daemon can't talk to lmgrd (License server machine is down or not responding. (-96,491))

14:57:06 (ptc_d) EXITING DUE TO SIGNAL 28 Exit reason 5

I have added the required rules to the windows firewall (by now a bit more then required), TCP 7788 in/out, lmadmin in/out, ptc_d in/out, lmgrd in/out, going to clean it out when i get it to work.

Looking at the license.dat file all licenses, paths &  seems fine and HOST ID and server name is a match.

I've been trying everything I can think of (specified port for ptc_d and matched firewall rules, manually installing everything according to instructions, tried different versions) and has searched for an answer but have found none where it wasn't the firewall. I've tested the firewall for port 7788 by configuring another software to listen to the port and it was reachable.

Would appreciate any insight you might have.

17 REPLIES 17
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ArneEmilsson)

Thank you, but unfortunately (in relation to finding a solution) all firewall rules are in place and active. It seems to be something else at play here.

Domen
14-Alexandrite

Hi Arne.

It is funny, because it is almost like deja-vu.  Had exactly the same problem on Friday.

Installing Flexnet on Windows Server 2012 R2. Tried Flexnet 10.8 (from WF5 M050 and M170) and Flexnet 11.10.1 (Creo 2).

The log file was the same as yours:

15:50:12 (ptc_d) Vendor daemon can't talk to lmgrd (License server machine is down or not responding. (-96,491))

15:50:12 (ptc_d) EXITING DUE TO SIGNAL 28 Exit reason 5

And the ptcstatus showed licenses as Counted.

I used every recommendation I found on PTC support (added exceptions in Firewall, changed ports for lmgrd and ptc_d, etc.) and nothing worked.

Today I will install lmadmin 11.11.1 and I will report if it worked.

If you find a soultion, it would be helpful if you post it here.

And it would be helpful if PTC would look into it!!!

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:Domen)

Hi,

if your company pays maintenance fees to PTC, then ask PTC Support to resolve the problem.

FYI: I installed FLEXlm on Windows Server 2012 R2 successfully several times. I used FLEXlm 10.8.10 installation package downloaded from PTC site.

URLs:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS70350

http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/121640/en/PTC_LMS_Download.pdf

http://download.ptc.com/download2/products/FLEXnet/ptc_lic_server_flex-10-8-10_WIN64.zip

MH

Martin Hanák
Domen
14-Alexandrite
(To:MartinHanak)

Hi.

I installed FLEXlm 11.11.1 and 10.8.10 (from the link that Martin sent) and the result was the same - the licenses were shown as Counted and the log file:

11:59:45 (ptc_d) Vendor daemon can't talk to lmgrd (License server machine is down or not responding. (-96,491))

11:59:45 (ptc_d) EXITING DUE TO SIGNAL 28 Exit reason 5

11:59:50 (lmgrd) ptc_d exited with status 28 (Communications error)

I opened a Case on PTC Support.

Strangely reassuring to know that we're not alone with this issue.

I too have opened a case with PTC Support, I will share any useful information I learn relating to this problem.

It started working. I have no idea if below described procedure actually helped or if it was blind luck.

After reading a lot about other vendors installations using lmadmin I created the directory <lmadmin install directory>\licensing\ptc and copied ptc_d.exe and ptc.opt to that directory, for good measure i also copied ptc_d.exe to <lmadmin install directory>\licensing.

This should have no effect without changing the DAEMON line in license.dat, then I restarted the lmadmin service (I wanted to trace the log output).. and suddenly it worked. Other then that I have not changed anything else.

Domen
14-Alexandrite

I tried your method, but unfortunately it didn`t work.

I will wait if guys from PTC come up with solution.

One question:

Do you use IPv6 or IPv4 on server?

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

I guess I installed FLEXnet on IPv4 server successfully. I am interested if IPv6 is supported.

MH

Martin Hanák

Arne,

Did you get Flex to work on a Windows 2012 R2 server?  I'm being told Flex doesn't work on a Windows 2012 R2 server.

Thanks...Jeffrey...

jburress
5-Regular Member

Good morning,

I am seeing the same errors as described above in lmadmin.log and ptc_d.log.

From the responses here, many others are seeing this as well on Windows Server 2012 R2.  But I am not clear on the cause or on the solution.

Is the fix to eliminate all spaces in the installation/daemon/license path?  Or do I need to set an LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable or use a different version of the FlexLM software?  All other options (firewall rules, hostID, etc) are as they should be.

Thanks for any clarification anyone can offer.

Joanna

Domen
14-Alexandrite
(To:jburress)

Hi.

I have reported a case on PTC, but it has not been solved. So I can`t really give you any useful informations.

I have tried different FlexLM versions, added environement variable, added firewall rules.... Nothing helped.

But you can see from Arne Emilssons post, that he somehow managed to solve it.

If I get useful information or a solution from PTC, I will let you know.

Regards,

Domen

jburress
5-Regular Member

Domen,

I also opened a case with PTC tech support.  We found that I had two licensing services installed, lmadmin_ptc and PTC FlexNet.

I am not sure how both got installed, whether it is by default or if I screwed up .  lmadmin_ptc is a Web based license manager, PTC FlexNet the familiar lmtools.  I did not want to use the Web service license manager so we disabled lmadmin_ptc.  (The naming convention seems somewhat counterintuitive to me...)

So, check the services running on your license server.  If you have BOTH lmadmin_ptc and PTC FlexNet running, you have to disable one of them, and make sure all the configs are pointing to the correct paths for the other.  (PTC FlexNet is the old familiar LMTOOLS and is what I wanted to use.)

It has stayed up and running for over an hour - I will update if I start seeing errors again.

Regards,

Joanna

Domen
14-Alexandrite
(To:jburress)

Joanna thanks for you reply.

I have only one license service installed - lmadmin_ptc.

But I also think that even if the two license services were installed, it should not be a problem, if one of them was disabled.

PTC support guys and I have narrowed the problem down on 2 possiblities:

1. On the server there are both ipv4 and ipv6 enabled. So ipv6 could cause the problem, because it is not supported on Creo. Although FlexLm supports it!

As it is written in License Administration Guide FlexNet PublisherLicensing 11.11.1, page 201: http://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/162709/en/creo3F000_flex.pdf

Joanna do you also have both protocolos enabled on your server?

2. There is another license manager running on the server (CW License Manager). It also uses lmgrd.exe for communication. But it uses port 27000, so that should not be the problem, because lmgrd of FlexLm uses port 7788.

I have disabled this service, but the Flexlm still did not work.

So any insight from you on this problem would be really helpful.

Regards,

Domen

jburress
5-Regular Member

Domen,

IPv6 is not enabled on my server.

Joanna Bruner

FlexNet Release Version:11.13.1

http://localhost:8080/vendor

2016-11-08_16h43_19.png

🙂

FYI,

in https://www.flexsim.com/ftp/LicenseServer/FlexNetPublisher_Docs/fnp_11.14.0_Rev01_RelNotes.pdf document, there is following information:

To use lmadmin on Windows platforms, the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) must be installed.

I installed:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15336

and "ptc_d exited with status 255" problem was resolved (in Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 64-bit).

Martin Hanák
Top Tags