cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

SMOOTH CURVES in GRAPHS

Anousheh
6-Contributor

SMOOTH CURVES in GRAPHS

Hello,

Please see the attached MathCad 15 file. I would like to make the curves smooth (Fig. 5 in particular).

I have tried "supsmooth", there is no difference.

Thank you for the time and help.

Anousheh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It has been discussed here quite some times that Mathcad is not able to produce publication quality plots.

The edges I see in your plots are due to screen resolution only, I guess. I don't think that they result from calculation inaccuracies in your function - in some rare cases special (pathologic?) function will produce tiny steps as of numeric inaccuracy. Use mathcads zoom ability (right click, zoom) and judge yourself.

Sometimes you get better optical results by increasing the linewidth. You may also consider enlarging the graph area before you copy it to the clipboard, but be careful with that, as this would probably mean that you have to reduce the image size in Wod und that way the label font size will be smaller at the inserted graph and this will look inconsistent unless you do it likewise with all of the graphs in your paper..

Anyway, I guess Mathcad's smoothing routines are not meant to do and will not do that kind of antialiasing you have in mind. There is no reason to use that kind of smooth Mathcads routines will provide on a graph, which is defined by an analytic function.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

The curves already are "smooth" to the maximal extent as they are not a bunch of discrete points but depend on analytical functions.

How did you use supsmooth or medsmooth? Sampling vectors from your functions, I guess.

I don't see any attempts done in your sheet (nor see I any graphs which would need smoothing).

Anousheh
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

Hello Werner,

Thank you.

Werner Exinger wrote:

How did you use supsmooth or medsmooth? Sampling vectors from your functions, I guess.

I don't see any attempts done in your sheet (nor see I any graphs which would need smoothing).

You are right. I used vectors by using data from my functions. Curve in Fig. 5 has rough edges when exported to WORD (copy and paste). Even rough edges in MathCad worksheet.

I increased the number of alpha in the range, nothing happens. Please see the attached file.

Thanks,

Anousheh

It has been discussed here quite some times that Mathcad is not able to produce publication quality plots.

The edges I see in your plots are due to screen resolution only, I guess. I don't think that they result from calculation inaccuracies in your function - in some rare cases special (pathologic?) function will produce tiny steps as of numeric inaccuracy. Use mathcads zoom ability (right click, zoom) and judge yourself.

Sometimes you get better optical results by increasing the linewidth. You may also consider enlarging the graph area before you copy it to the clipboard, but be careful with that, as this would probably mean that you have to reduce the image size in Wod und that way the label font size will be smaller at the inserted graph and this will look inconsistent unless you do it likewise with all of the graphs in your paper..

Anyway, I guess Mathcad's smoothing routines are not meant to do and will not do that kind of antialiasing you have in mind. There is no reason to use that kind of smooth Mathcads routines will provide on a graph, which is defined by an analytic function.

Anousheh
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

Hello Werner,

Thank you so much. I have followed your suggestions. I printed Fig. 5 and a smooth curve resulted from a WORD format file. This is sufficient for my work - for the time being.

Thanks again and all the best,

Anousheh

Top Tags