cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Scrolling Speed

NormalVector
1-Newbie

Scrolling Speed

Is there a way to adjust the worksheet scrolling speed in MathCAD 14? I find that scrolling down a large document with the mouse wheel can be cumbersome and clicking the scroll bar moves a little too quickly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:NormalVector)

Stephen Guimond wrote:

Is there a way to adjust the worksheet scrolling speed in MathCAD 14? I find that scrolling down a large document with the mouse wheel can be cumbersome and clicking the scroll bar moves a little too quickly.

Have you tried changing the settings on your mouse scroll wheel. This will obviously change the mouse settings for all applications.

I have read about this problem before and somebody suggested "Freewheel" which is freeware mouse software.

Few points collected from previous threads.

1. the scroll is fixed at one region grid per 'step' [the region grid is about half a line].
2. that pressing Ctrl while scrolling will change the step size to about a third of a page. [This will give 'fast' scrolling]

Mike

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Stephen Guimond wrote:

Have you tried changing the settings on your mouse scroll wheel. This will obviously change the mouse settings for all applications.

I have read about this problem before and somebody suggested "Freewheel" which is freeware mouse software.

Few points collected from previous threads.

1. the scroll is fixed at one region grid per 'step' [the region grid is about half a line].
2. that pressing Ctrl while scrolling will change the step size to about a third of a page. [This will give 'fast' scrolling]

Mike

Thanks, that works fine for me. I don't really want to mess with a program to change my mousewheel clicks or change its settings because the scroll speed is fine for everything else.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Stephen Guimond wrote:

Thanks, that works fine for me.

No problem.

I don't really want to mess with a program to change my mousewheel clicks or change its settings because the scroll speed is fine for everything else.

I don't blame you, I haven't changed my mousewheel settings either.

Mike

The only other options involve:

> Holding down the <CTRL> key while mouse scrolling

> Getting a mouse driver than can change the number of clicks independently.

TTFN

You cannot scroll a Mathcad worksheet normally, like it is in any Windows software because in the past, Mathsoft, and now PTC always refuses to fix this bug for more than 15 years.

General explanation:

If you want that your software to do something you have to write a code for that.

This particular case explanation:

If PTC wants that Mathcad to scroll the worksheet 1 pixel at a time using wheelmouse they write a code in which they assign this value of 1 pixel to the scroll command.

The problem can be solved very easy:

PTC can change the default value of 8 pixels with a 40-50 pixels, obtaining a 5-6 times faster scroll.

The user cannot have a problem with this new increased scrolling speed of 5-6 times, because on present computers Mathcad calculates faster than you can scroll with your mouse.

PTC doesn't realize that this very slow scroll speed has an enormous impact on work productivity.

In the end, PTC will do exactly what we already know: NOTHING.

spa . wrote:

You cannot scroll a Mathcad worksheet normally, like it is in any Windows software because in the past, Mathsoft, and now PTC always refuses to fix this bug for more than 15 years.

General explanation:

If you want that your software to do something you have to write a code for that.

This particular case explanation:

If PTC wants that Mathcad to scroll the worksheet 1 pixel at a time using wheelmouse they write a code in which they assign this value of 1 pixel to the scroll command.

The problem can be solved very easy:

PTC can change the default value of 8 pixels with a 40-50 pixels, obtaining a 5-6 times faster scroll.

The user cannot have a problem with this new increased scrolling speed of 5-6 times, because on present computers Mathcad calculates faster than you can scroll with your mouse.

PTC doesn't realize that this very slow scroll speed has an enormous impact on work productivity.

In the end, PTC will do exactly what we already know: NOTHING.

As it looks, the mouse configuration is Windows not Mathcad, if so: PTC will do NOTHING

"On the Wheel tab, under Scrolling, click Scroll, and then select the number of lines to scroll with each notch on the wheel.
-or-
Click Scroll one "screen" at a time.
Notes
To open Mouse, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Mouse.
A "screen" is different depending on the size of your window and the program you are using. Scrolling one screen at a time is equivalent to using the PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN keys on your keyboard, or to clicking above or below the scroll bar.
Some programs may limit the maximum number of lines that you can scroll with each notch of the wheel."
Check with PTC for this case. In > 20,000 help messages I have provided since day 1 (one) of the Mathcad collab, I have no recollection visitors/collabs had reported mouse problems specific to Mathcad.
jmG
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:jeanGiraud)

I have no recollection visitors/collabs had reported mouse problems specific to Mathcad.

I have. More than one of them in fact.

Richard Jackson wrote:

I have no recollection visitors/collabs had reported mouse problems specific to Mathcad.

I have. More than one of them in fact.

I have recollection that few visitors asked for help in setting their mouse. I'm sure that any of us had given good advice. But no recollection that any visitor had their mouse turn fool because of Mathcad. That it behaves differently when encountering a solve block and and no solve block, it has been explained for the plaintiff to compare. My mouse does not grow wings at Mathcad, does yours ?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:spaco)

Come on, its not that hard to workaround.

Mike

The point is, and was, ad nauseum, is that there shouldn't have to be a workaround. Given that both Mathsoft and PTC seem to have been copying almost all of MS other idiotic GUI "innovations," there's absolutely no reason they can't toe the line on this one. Scrolling more than one line per wheelclick seems to be something that all other programs and their programmers have mastered. There is no reason for having only a single line scroll, and there is no reason there should be a workaround.

TTFN

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:IRstuff)

The point is, and was, ad nauseum, is that there shouldn't have to be a workaround.

I totally agree, but stating that the scroll speed has "an enormous impact on work productivity" is a little dramatic in my opinion.

Mike

I totally agree, but stating that the scroll speed has "an enormous impact on work productivity" is a little dramatic in my opinion

I agree. It's mildly annoying, but that's all.

Stephen Guimond wrote:

Stephen,

Do you think I have answered your question "lengthwise & crosswise" ?

If your mouse does not respond as it should, time to isolate the software

that causes the problem [ Microsoft].

Jean

I think you've provided some insight into the scrolling patterns of a large MathCAD file. I believe, as spa and Mike were hypothesizing, it's not a Windows or a mouse problem. Whenever I scroll the mouse wheel one unit in MathCAD it covers significantly less ground than in Firefox, Word, etc.

My mouse works fine but for some reason the MC programmers decided to use a smaller window length per scroll number than any other program. Using ctrl seems to be the easiest fix for this problem.

Thanks for the help!

I could not invent/dream of a better "Mathcad mouse functionality" than the way it works for me. Works perfect for any web page, especially when exploring several 100's pages of book. Set as you wish your own number of lines per mouse wheel step. The main mutual interaction Windows<==> Mathcad is that Mathcad turns OFF the mouse while in solving blocks. For the rest, the mouse configuration is Windows-User.

Top Tags