cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Significant Digits in Tables

regcurry
14-Alexandrite

Significant Digits in Tables

How do I increase the number of significant digits displayed in tables.  The default seems to be 4.  I want to see 12.  2.9857555555 is displayed as 2.986.

Thanks

Reg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You should have stated that you were talking about good old real Mathcad and not about the current (Mathcad) Prime! Tables in Prime are something completely different than tables in real Mathcad.

EDIT: Just saw that you added this information while I wrote this reply, but in the meanwhile I could tell that from your attachment in your second posting that you are using real Mathcad and not Prime (good choice).

To format the number of decimals shown in a Mathcad table, you right click the table,

Werner_E_0-1666432156730.png

select "Properties" and now you can format how the numbers should be displayed

Werner_E_1-1666432261784.png

According the (from my experience lame and instable) Excel component, the number of decimals has to be set in Excel (when you double click the table an Excel window opens).

Deleting rows in Excel does not change the number of rows which are transferred to Mathcad. You set the range to be transferred by right clicking the table in Mathcad, select "Properties" and in the "Outputs" tab you can change the range to be transferred to Mathcad. For the picture I deleted three rows (1703-1705) in Excel and so I changed the number of the last row to be used from 299 to 296. Now the number of rows of the Mathcad vector changes accordingly.

Werner_E_2-1666433050886.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

You sure are nor really talking about tables, because tables show the values exactly as you typed it in

Werner_E_0-1666394231733.png

What you mean probably is the display of matrices and vectors, correct?

Werner_E_1-1666394297751.png

Here the same rules apply as for normal scalar variables.

You can set the way a result is display using the "Math Formatting" - "Results" menu

Werner_E_2-1666394437083.png

As usual you can set the format for one single expression or for the whole worksheet.

regcurry
14-Alexandrite
(To:Werner_E)

Not if it is a data input table from the insert menu.

I am trying to have an input table (not a reference to an external file) where I can change digits in the 12th place and see the change.  Data Input Tables will not do that.  So, I am trying to do it through an Excel Component Input.  I can change the cell values; however, I cannot delete rows.  If I delete rows, the result still thinks it has the original 295 rows.  I have attached an example worksheet that I copied from QuickSheets.  I cannot even figure out how the author created this Excel Component Input, especially how he defined the cell ranges for the two output variable.

Any help is appreciated.

Reg

Reg
regcurry
14-Alexandrite
(To:regcurry)

Forgot to note I am using MATHCAD 15 only.

Reg

You should have stated that you were talking about good old real Mathcad and not about the current (Mathcad) Prime! Tables in Prime are something completely different than tables in real Mathcad.

EDIT: Just saw that you added this information while I wrote this reply, but in the meanwhile I could tell that from your attachment in your second posting that you are using real Mathcad and not Prime (good choice).

To format the number of decimals shown in a Mathcad table, you right click the table,

Werner_E_0-1666432156730.png

select "Properties" and now you can format how the numbers should be displayed

Werner_E_1-1666432261784.png

According the (from my experience lame and instable) Excel component, the number of decimals has to be set in Excel (when you double click the table an Excel window opens).

Deleting rows in Excel does not change the number of rows which are transferred to Mathcad. You set the range to be transferred by right clicking the table in Mathcad, select "Properties" and in the "Outputs" tab you can change the range to be transferred to Mathcad. For the picture I deleted three rows (1703-1705) in Excel and so I changed the number of the last row to be used from 299 to 296. Now the number of rows of the Mathcad vector changes accordingly.

Werner_E_2-1666433050886.png

regcurry
14-Alexandrite

Not sure I follow.  I am not using an external Excel file.  Everything is defined in MATHCAD 15.  I also don’t see the picture where you deleted rows 1703-1705.

Sorry to be so slow.  I will try your suggestions to the best of my ability.  Will let you know my results.

Aside question, I no longer get a notice in my email when someone replies.  🤔🥴  Where do I check that option?

Thanks again for all your help.

Reg

I know that you don't use an external Excel file, but you embedded an Excel component in your sheet and when you double click it to edit the values, you are actually starting Excel using this embedded file. This behaviour is excactly what makes it slow and unstable in my opinion and thats the reason I prefer using a table or read in values from an external Excel file using READEXCEL (drawback is that you have to distribute the Excel file along with the Mathcad sheet in the latter).

According e-mail notification I am probably the wrong person to ask as I myself had a hard time to setup the forum to NOT send me any mails. But I guess you may find the necessary setup options when you click your avatar at the top right, select "My settings" and then go to "Subscriptions and Notifications" - "Notification Settings". I don't understand what all those settings are supposed to do but I turned off any notification I could find 😉

I really miss a simple button saying "Don't bother me outside of this forum". 😞

regcurry
14-Alexandrite

👏👏👏

I now understand!  
Thanks much.

Reg
Top Tags