cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Subscript in text mode

DU_8998062
3-Visitor

Subscript in text mode

How do you type subscript lettering while in text mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisKaswer
15-Moonstone
(To:Werner_E)

What I find interesting, and highly disappointing, is I've just converted a Mathcad file to Prime 8, of course getting all the original sub/superscripts to be removed from view. Yet they seem to still be embedded in the text! If I copy the text term from the converted Prime 8 file that originally had a subscript from Mathcad 15 and paste it into a MS Word document, it displays properly as a subscripted text field! See the progression, left-to-right, below in the image - Mathcad 15-to-Prime 8-to MS Word. So clearly Prime 8 understands this text to contain a subscripted text element, but can't/won't display it properly...good grief - PTC, why can't it be displayed properly?

ChrisKaswer_1-1676046227319.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yje method I use is to create a math region within the text box or text block and then type within the math regtion.

"The method . . . "

@DU_8998062 wrote:

How do you type subscript lettering while in text mode?

Short answer: You don't.
You may think its a basic feature, but incredible as it may sound this seems to be a feature beyond the scope of PTCs developers. Who in the engineering business would ever need texts with subscripts?

Maybe after 10+ years of "development" its planned for Prime 9, 10 ,... I don't know.

In the meantime you have to resort to workarounds like embedding a math region with a subscript in the text region (using ctrl-shift-M) or by using different fonts as Stuart had shown here: https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Text-font-options-missing-from-Prime-7-superscript-and-subscript/m-p/789843/highlight/true#M200659

While I don't think it would change or speedup anything, if you feel better you can also vote up this idea

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad-Ideas/Make-Subscript-and-Superscript-Text-Possible-as-in-Mathcad-15/idi-p/822361

Of course you are allowed to do so only if you a a paying customer.

EDIT: Just found the roadmap which @VladimirN  posts from time to time

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/PTC-Mathcad-Prime-Roadmap-2021-update/m-p/738684

As you can see, super- and subscripts were "features for consideration" for Prime 9.0, 10.0, 11.0 (whatever that may mean).
The roadmap stems from a time where Prime 8 wasn't yet released. I am not aware of an updated roadmap or some concrete informations about the soon to be released version 9.

ChrisKaswer
15-Moonstone
(To:Werner_E)

What I find interesting, and highly disappointing, is I've just converted a Mathcad file to Prime 8, of course getting all the original sub/superscripts to be removed from view. Yet they seem to still be embedded in the text! If I copy the text term from the converted Prime 8 file that originally had a subscript from Mathcad 15 and paste it into a MS Word document, it displays properly as a subscripted text field! See the progression, left-to-right, below in the image - Mathcad 15-to-Prime 8-to MS Word. So clearly Prime 8 understands this text to contain a subscripted text element, but can't/won't display it properly...good grief - PTC, why can't it be displayed properly?

ChrisKaswer_1-1676046227319.png

Top Tags