cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Swap between lbf and lbm

jdesai-2
11-Garnet

Swap between lbf and lbm

Hello,

If something weighs 10 pounds, I put M=10*lbm

The inertial load factor is LF=100gs (100 gees)

The force will be M*LF= 10*100=1000lbf

Why does MC screw up the units? I remember, if I used M*LF*g  then it used to revert to lbf. It does not do so today.

What is the best way to do this

8 REPLIES 8
MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:jdesai-2)

Please clarify your problem.  Uploading your file and/or screenshots would be helpful.

Here is what I get:

Capture.PNG

jdesai-2
11-Garnet
(To:MJG)

Never mind Fred. I just need a strong cup of coffee. It works now. Thanks

BTW. Do you need the * when you type in the units manually. I noticed you don't. Do you insert the units with a keyboard stroke or do you pull down and mouse it in from the pull down menu.

Untitled.png

You can type most units; may need "cntrl-Q" twice to get the labels right.  (is it a variable, a unit, a constant, a . . .)

Not sure what your problem is.  In Prime 3.0:

Capture.PNG

When I was at school, I learned that weight (not mass) should not be measured in grams, but in newtons (SI). We went to the store and asked the saleswoman to weigh 5 newtons of sausage!

Hmmm. Did Newton get hit in the head with a sausage? I thought it was an apple:)

tietjee
14-Alexandrite
(To:ValeryOchkov)

lbm -  pounds mass

slug -  mass

lbf -    pounds force

kg -    kilo grams mass

kgf -   kilo gram force.

Newton -  force

I once had an UK engineer use kg and Newtons in the same sentence, both referring to force (load cell rating).  And you thought our system was confusing.

Here must be newtons, dyne, gmf, kgf, lbf, ozf etc not gm, kg, lb, oz etc

We can use this device on Moon too...

I use it in airports! What is more impotent for aircrafts mass or weight of my baggage?

mass.png

Top Tags