cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Thermal conductivity units error

paranjas
2-Guest

Thermal conductivity units error

I am new to Mathcad and in the process of learning. When defining the units of thermal conductivity k=W/m.K, I keep getting an error for the m.K part. Mathcad says it is an undefined variable even though m (for length) and K(for temperature) are both part of units recognized by Mathcad. I am using prime 6.0 version. Appreciate any help I could get.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Better you show a pic of the error message and even better if you attach your worksheet so we can see what you did.

My guess is that you ran into a problem of Primes infamous "autolabeling" feature.

You can tell that Prime recognizes the names as units by the blue color (unless you changed that default setting).

If the labeling is wrong you have to set it manually. It was not necessary to do when I typed the definition below in an otherwise empty worksheet, though.

Werner_E_0-1597673679760.png

P.S.: You typed an explicit multiplication between m and K, didn't you?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Better you show a pic of the error message and even better if you attach your worksheet so we can see what you did.

My guess is that you ran into a problem of Primes infamous "autolabeling" feature.

You can tell that Prime recognizes the names as units by the blue color (unless you changed that default setting).

If the labeling is wrong you have to set it manually. It was not necessary to do when I typed the definition below in an otherwise empty worksheet, though.

Werner_E_0-1597673679760.png

P.S.: You typed an explicit multiplication between m and K, didn't you?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:paranjas)

Welcome to the forum.

There should be no problem with that:

LucMeekes_0-1597673743635.png

Please attach your worksheet (Which, in general you ALWAYS should do), so we can see what goes wrong with it.

Success!
Luc

Correct unit of Thermal Conductivity W*m/(m^2*K)!

W.png

So true, Valery!  I like to keep the "youngsters" thinking of the physics behind the numbers.

Proud user of Mathcad since MS-DOS days.

and viscosity! Not Pascal but Newton!

Visc.png

Top Tags