cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Transferring calculation data into a table format

ptc-1973553
1-Newbie

Transferring calculation data into a table format

Hi Everyone,

We currently use MathCAD 14 and I am having difficulty trying to get my data results into a table (i.e. Excel) format. Currently, we perform the calculations within MathCAD and then manually enter the data into an Excel spreadsheet/table which is part of the final report we provide our customers.

I have been able to figure out how to do the following:

1) Transfer the data into a matrix format...my thinking was that I could then "easily" transpose the matrix into a tabular form.

2) Insert an Excel table (but then I still end up manually transferring the calculation results into the table).

3) I tried the Insert -> Component -> Scriptable Object feature, but again, cannot figure out how to get the data into the cells.

I feel as if I have hit a brick wall on this...I just can't seem to figure out that one final step/process to get the data to populate in a tabular form.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks,

Jenny

20 REPLIES 20

The short simple way (if you don't have to do tons and tons) is to format your output as a table (Format\Result\Display Options\Matrix Display style = table). Then right-click on the table. In to menu that pops up chose "select all," then "copy selection." You can then paste this entire data set into and EXCEL spreadsheet.

If you have a lot to do you can write a file and read it using EXCEL, but keeping track can be a challenge.

Fred,

Ultimately, we would rather skip the Excel spreadsheet step...in essence, we are only inputing it into an (external) Excel spreadsheet to get it into the tabular format, but the final data actually goes into an AutoCAD file. If I could create the tabular format of my calculation results within MathCAD, I can skip Excel (and possible AutoCAD) altogether.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-1973553)

If you want the table in Mathcad:

Insert, Component, Microsoft Excel, Create an Empty Excel worksheet, set for one input, no outputs. Put the name of your matrix in the empty placeholder at the bottom left.

If you want to create an Excel file:

Insert, Data, File Output, type in a path and filename. Put the name of your matrix in the empty placeholder at the bottom left.

Richard,

I tried your suggestion and was delighted that the table did indeed populate...but I have no idea what numbers are being used as they are not the ones from my matrix. Any idea as to what may have gone wrong?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Any idea as to what may have gone wrong?

Can you post the worksheet? Without the worksheet it's going to be very hard to figure out what the problem is.

(To post a worksheet click on "Advaned Editor" at the top right, then you can attach files).

Okay, give me some time as I'll have to extrac the data from the original file....

Richard,

See attached file of sample data and table (with wrong values).

What am I doing wrong?

As with graphs, divide by units

OMG - that solved the problem!!! Thanks Fred!

Can you post an example?

I dont' suppose you know how to add heading/content to the table?

Don't ask for text alignment!

Fred,

Honestly, I have only worked with MatCAD for a few months (not even an engineer) so I am happy with the progress I was able to make with posting my data into the table...obviously, the end result will need to be "prettier" in the final report. Think I'll just see if I can input the heading into the worksheet and get the table to line up....

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I dont' suppose you know how to add heading/content to the table?

Something like this?

That is impressive. I will play around with that and see if I can manipulate the data to spit out the appropriate formats.

Thanks Richard.

Jenny

Richard,

I think if I really work at it I may get it to work, but here's an example of what it is I am trying to produce (see table at right with heading, etc.).

Any suggestions on making this more do-able? We have pages of calcs to transpose into a table of this format.

Okay, you've inserted an EXCEL sheet and formated the laabels and text the way you want it to look. You can drop the Mathcad calculations into this sheet by specifying the uinput variable and which cell(s) it goes into, and you can specify as many input variables as you need (within reason.)

Fred,

Therein lies the problem. We do not want to use both an Excel and MathCAD program. We prefer to do all the calculations within MathCAD and produce the tabular format we need to present the data to our client without using Excel.

Richard's suggestions with getting the columns/rows work, but it requires a lot of work on our end to get the formula/command to produce what we want. Remember, I have only been using MathCAD a few months and I am NOT an engineer!!

tietjee
14-Alexandrite

If you using the text in AutoCAD, try the WRITEPRN command. It outputs a matrix as a data file. No Excel involved in the process

No, as it stands, the table presented in the AutoCAD file is an Excel that we copy/paste into the dwg file.

Top Tags