cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Unable to Install Mathcad Prime 4.0 after installing Mathcad Prime 5.0

Bill_Capehart
4-Participant

Unable to Install Mathcad Prime 4.0 after installing Mathcad Prime 5.0

Our technology people accidentally installed Mathcad Prime 5.0 on a classroom computer instead of 4.0.  

When they addressed their mistake they found they could not install 4.0 and a cryptic error message with no detail was given.  (See screenshot attached).

They were able to uninstall Mathcad 5 (though I have both on my laptop with this.  

Please advise.. I need that console working with Prime 4 in class.

Cheers and Thanks Much!

Bill Capehart

SD School of Mines

12 REPLIES 12

One of the newer better features of Windows computers (remember, I started in DOS) was  the creation of restore points; if you really screwed up your computer you could call up a previous version and restore the computer to that configuration.  (You lose any files you created since.)  Most computers now create these restore points automatically.

You might be able to restore to just before the installation of 5.0, then do the installations in correct order.. .

Hi,

try following

• uninstall PTC Mathcad Viewable Support item
  • remove the contents of C:\Program Files\PTC directory
  • install Mathcad and use different installation directory, eg. C:\Program Files\mathcad

Martin Hanák
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Bill_Capehart)

I'm afraid Fred's suggestion, or a completely new, clean install of windows is what you need.

I've recently tried to install Prime 3.1 where 4 was already installed. Uninstalling all PTC stuff, wiping PTC directories AND clearing all possible Prime and PTC related keys from the registry did not allow me to install Prime 3.1.

Success!
Luc

Just info ... see attached document.

Martin Hanák

So the point seems to be that you have to keep and reuse the license file you got at the very first installation of Prime, right?

Probably because they won't send you a second one for the same machine?

Hi,

I wanted to test whether I am able to install older versions of Mathcad on my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit machine. That's all 🙂

Martin Hanák

Yeah, but it looks to me that keeping the license file is exactly what was not done in that school and this also may explain the status "not allowed" we see in the picture provided by the OP. I am absolutely not sure about that, though, but given my experience with PTC and their software I could imagine that they expect their users to deal with that kind of cryptic error rather than with a meaningful message.

But its hard to say from distance what exactly went wrong with that specific PC.

1. Go to Control Panel -> Program and Features and check that Mathcad Prime 5.0.0.0 and 4.0 are not installed. If they are - uninstall them. The natural order is to first uninstall 5.0.0.0 and 4.0 after that.

2. If you want to be on the safe side you may delete, or rename the installation directories that by default are under c:\Program Files\PTC.

3. Now you should be able to install Mathcad Prime 4.0.

If it does not solve the problem - contact technical support.

"Viewable support" is unrelated. No need to uninstall it.

Keeping license file is a good idea, but it is not needed to install the application. Installer does not check license and allows to install even if you do not have license at all.

It is possible to install several versions of Mathcad Prime on one computer, but it should be done in ascending order. (For example - 4 and after that - 5).

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:MSheykman)

Does this also apply to Prime Express?

That is: If I uninstall Prime 4 Express, should I be able to install Prime 3.1 Express?

Luc

Yes, it should work.

Certainly the latest version is recommended.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:MSheykman)

@MSheykman wrote:

Yes, it should work.

Certainly the latest version is recommended.

Unless your OS is 32-bits...

Well, modern hardware and 64 bit OS is also recommended.

Top Tags