cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Units in Mathcad Prime

TR_9781963
8-Gravel

Units in Mathcad Prime

Is it possible to always get the results in desired unit style say I defined a variable with mm after evaluating it shifts to m but I want to keep it to mm by default I know I can modify the unit placeholder but wanted to know if there is any workaround for this 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No, unfortunately that can't be done.

You will have to manually change the unit of the result to show the desired unit for every evaluation.

Prime will always chose the standard unit of the unit system you set for your sheet.

Actually, when you assign a quantity to a variable, Prime does not even remember the unit you had chosen but stores the value in the standard unit. So when it later displays the variable it can't show the original unit as it doesn't know which it is.

This applies to numeric evaluation. When you use symbolic evaluation, you will see the unit you originally had used.

This is because the symbolics back tracks the sheet up to the definition of the variable and also because the symbolic does not know anything about units and treats them as unknown variables.

Werner_E_0-1683308693410.png

I won't consider symbolic evaluation a solution to your problem. As you can see in the example above, when displaying variable c, the symbolic does not know anything about the relationship between mm and m and so can't simplify the result. And following the symbolic evaluation by a numeric one displays the result once again in the default unit.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

No, unfortunately that can't be done.

You will have to manually change the unit of the result to show the desired unit for every evaluation.

Prime will always chose the standard unit of the unit system you set for your sheet.

Actually, when you assign a quantity to a variable, Prime does not even remember the unit you had chosen but stores the value in the standard unit. So when it later displays the variable it can't show the original unit as it doesn't know which it is.

This applies to numeric evaluation. When you use symbolic evaluation, you will see the unit you originally had used.

This is because the symbolics back tracks the sheet up to the definition of the variable and also because the symbolic does not know anything about units and treats them as unknown variables.

Werner_E_0-1683308693410.png

I won't consider symbolic evaluation a solution to your problem. As you can see in the example above, when displaying variable c, the symbolic does not know anything about the relationship between mm and m and so can't simplify the result. And following the symbolic evaluation by a numeric one displays the result once again in the default unit.

Top Tags