cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Units problems, Concrete shear formula

joswizz
2-Guest

Units problems, Concrete shear formula

Hi, college student new to Mathcad here. I'm having trouble with the units of a concrete shear formula. I put units to the unit weight correction factor, lambda, but that didn't help.

Help would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As Valery already pointed out - look at your definition of lambda - is this really what you intended?

roots.png

BTW, don't post just pictures - its hard to debug a picture. Always post your worksheet as well. You may have to zip it first because a severe bug in this forum often prevents you from uploading the file as it is.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Sorry, but what is it

lambda.png

A very neat work-around for an empirical formula that takes the square root of a stress.

As Valery already pointed out - look at your definition of lambda - is this really what you intended?

roots.png

BTW, don't post just pictures - its hard to debug a picture. Always post your worksheet as well. You may have to zip it first because a severe bug in this forum often prevents you from uploading the file as it is.

8.png

Capture1.PNG

No, within the set of real numbers the square root is defined as being positive (or zero).

Only in the set of complex numbers we have two results (or n for an n-th root).

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Confused with

LM_20180405_Sqrt.png

?

Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:joswizz)

Please attach your worksheet. You may have to ZIP it first. A serious bug in this forum often prevents from attaching a mathcad file. In Windows Explorer click with the right-mouse button on the mathcad file and select 'Send to' -> 'Compressed (zipped) folder'. The resulting .zip file can be attached.

Success!
Luc

My first guess was that you had a unit mis-match,especially after reading Luc's rant about lambda, but you don't.

Capture.PNG

Prime is notorious for getting the "labels" wrong.  It's possible (in Prime) to have two things look exactly or nearly the same and be different things; you can have a variable m and it can be six meters long and write m := 6 m.  If the first is labeled "variable" or "-", and the second is "unit" Prime will happily continue.  But if you created something in the red rectangle with one label, and in the rectangle it has a different label, Prime will refuse to continue.

Check that.

Thank you all for your quick replies. I appreciate it very much!

SPRstructur
15-Moonstone
(To:joswizz)

if not wrong, You refer this.

The problem that you can't solve it because shear stress. just put psi   because it from testing and result with square root but it keeping still Stress unit  .
Hope it useful.

S-1.png

Yes, as Fred already wrote its an interesting workaround to be able to use an empiric formula where f is expected in psi and the square root of it is taken.

Guess most of us would have done it the "usual" way: remove the unit by dividing by the asked for unit, do the calculation (root) and then add the proper unit.

Bild.png

SPRstructur
15-Moonstone
(To:Werner_E)

Hi Werner_E
my purpose I just give simplified to questioner if you have better one for me always accept
Top Tags