cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Why is this simple sheet not working in MC11 but it is workín in MC15

WalterSchrabmai
8-Gravel

Why is this simple sheet not working in MC11 but it is workín in MC15

Hi Experts,

I have here a ws done in MC15 and saved as mcd (MC11) but I got an error in MC11. Why?

12 REPLIES 12

It includes a local function definition in the program in the solve block. Local function definitions are not supported in version 11. Here's how to make it work.

Thanks Richard, as I can see MC14/MC15 looks a little bit better than MC11´s solution. But anyway, Thanks a lot for that workaround.

Walter,

The transit operator works fine in MC 11 [as you know from so much work done in the past], it works fine for several arguments as well as for the single case, but the form you have used is incorrect. If it turns red in your work 15 sheet, it will prove the incompatibility between the two versions of Mathcad. And by same token handicapping 15 users of the huge tool box developed in 11 through the years. I have added a second example of a DE system with two functions, if that one also fails from 11 to 15, try to make it work by yourself or in collaboration with 15 collabs.

If either one or both are red, try backward compatibility.

jmG

Thanks, Jean, for that info about the transit algo. Yes in 15 works fine without it, but I also want to be backward compatible. Moreover when I use the hugh toolboxes developed for MC11, I want to know how they can be used for MC15 also. Thanks for your help.

Walter

>Thanks, Jean, for that info about the transit algo. Yes in 15 works fine without it, but I also want to be backward compatible. Moreover when I use the hugh toolboxes developed for MC11, I want to know how they can be used for MC15 also. Thanks for your help.

Walter<

I understand that the 2nd example works fine in 15 as you had setup the same way you did for the first. I would recommend that anything that works in 11 and in 15 not be converted to the unique incompatible 15 ... that's what the clients want, want to ignore 15 inventions that would render their previous 11 not work. Mathcad 15 and next/next/next seem to be for users who never had Mathcad. Same problem we had with AutoCad and different clients . Just make a picture of the 15 setup and the two plots for the 2nd example, I want to see ,

Jean

> Just make a picture of the 15 setup and the two plots for the 2nd example, I want to see ,

Jean, which 2nd example you would like to see? (I have little troubles in understanding you.)

It works fine now in 11 and 15.

cheers

walter

Walter Schrabmair wrote:

> Just make a picture of the 15 setup and the two plots for the 2nd example, I want to see ,

Jean, which 2nd example you would like to see? (I have little troubles in understanding you.)

It works fine now in 11 and 15.

cheers

walter

The second example, set it up in your 15 style and make a picture .

You say it works fine, OK ! but that's not an answer for proof .

Jean

Ok, Jean, here the snapshoot - as you can see it works fine in MC15 without the workaround.

Walter Schrabmair wrote:

Ok, Jean, here the snapshoot - as you can see it works fine in MC15 without the workaround.

Not your example Walter, but my example for which you have the data set in the work sheet I have posted. My example is the Viktor DE system. BTW, you have never acknowledge the PDE Gadjson Lake ? I posted it in the former collab, maybe in that one too but so difficult to track already in one month period.

Jean

Jean, ok but you attached only a GIF, could you attach a worksheet, so I can test it in MC15. The Lake PDE is fine you did, but you did not use the final ODE which should be minimized. You used the initial peak as a function which is fitted to the data. That was not the same as it was done in the paper. But thanks a nyway. Walter

Walter Schrabmair wrote:

Jean, ok but you attached only a GIF, could you attach a worksheet, so I can test it in MC15. The Lake PDE is fine you did, but you did not use the final ODE which should be minimized. You used the initial peak as a function which is fitted to the data. That was not the same as it was done in the paper. But thanks anyway. Walter

Walter:

1. You posted

2. Richard replied

3. I replied and posted the work sheet there

http://communities.ptc.com/message/149000#149000

... in that thread above

Walter, there is nothing to minimize in Lake Gadjson PDE. The system acts like a 2d parametric f(x,y) ,where each of the x,y are the elements of the PDE. The Minimize would apply on the initial peak but this function must be decided manually, otherwise the system would degenerate . You can see that, looking at the beginning of the initial peak and comparing with your original function. The paper gives the PDE of another source and there would be as many PDE as there would be Lake(sss) Gadjson. The system looks underdesigned as it does not include the time constants. You could consider the system as "variable coefficients system" , and there: the PDE solver takes care like the Odesolve [in general]. Most papers, if not all, are based on what they have in hands, and what they have in hands [unless it is very specific] is "retarded" vs Mathcad capabilities.

Jean

Jean,

here the ODE1 sheet in MC15. THe ode works fine but the plotting does not make sense.

Could you explain this, why this plot is not working in MC15?

Moreover, Jean, I do not think you are right according the Lakes. I could calculate and fit the data in Maple 13 and with

a addon-package (Direct Search) the curve could be minimized. MC could not solve it - what a pitty.

Greetings

Walter

Top Tags