cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Windows 7 Pro x64: Installing Mathcad 15 and Prime 3

Ninetrees
1-Newbie

Windows 7 Pro x64: Installing Mathcad 15 and Prime 3

I had this all working before I re-installed my OS. Now I can't figure the trick out. M15 doesn't error, but it doesn't run, either.

I've tried installing M15 and MP3 in different orders.

I note that there are two statements about .NET: one says at least .NET 3.5.1, and the other says exactly .NET 3.5.1. I have both installed, it seems, or at least .NET 3.5...

I can find Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 Service Pack 1 references on the web, suggesting that 3.5.1 is a different version, but so far no place to download 3.5.1.

A doc on the PTC website says NET Framework 3.5 SP1, so I guess that I am OK there.

I have tried several suggestions on this forum, to no avail.

I filed a support ticket, but don't know if I'll get an answer, as my maintenance has expired.

Can anyone point me to a definitive solution?

BTW, the note for Tags below has this comment "use >>communities<< to separate multiple tags, use an underscore to combine two words"

Thanks,

~Rich~

Edit 2014-07-08: I found in Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on and off that Microsoft .NET v3.5.1 is enabled. I am wondering if I must now remove .NET 4.x, and maybe 3.x, and re-install in version order, activating M15 after 3.5 is installed?

~R~

4 REPLIES 4
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Ninetrees)

It shouldn't matter what order the .NET versions were installed.

I'm interested in the outcome of this, because I'm going to replace my PC soon and have not decided whether to get the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Win 7. There are obvious reasons why I would prefer the 64 bit version, but some old software will simply not run (or possibly not even install) on the 64 bit version. If it's a problem getting Mathcad running on 64 bit that would certainly force my decision.

Unfortunately, I can't recall whether I had this problem some time ago when I installed Mxx. I now wonder if I gave up and installed M14 instead. Source files (xmcd) indicate M14, not M15. I decided to download a new install of M15 trial from the PTC website, but got trapped in a delightful loop --- click on the link to download M15, go to a page ro down load it, click the link to download it, go back to the page whence you came --- repeat.

This page

http://www.ptc.com/products/mathcad/mathcad-15-0/free-trial.htm#2

sends me here

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/113152/en/mathcad15.pdf

which says

Windows XP Professional x64 SP2

and my desktop says SP1, so I'll see about SP2... though I am current with upgrades, and I thought that meant equivalent to SP2.

~R~

Richard Jackson wrote:

I'm interested in the outcome of this, because I'm going to replace my PC soon and have not decided whether to get the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Win 7. There are obvious reasons why I would prefer the 64 bit version, but some old software will simply not run (or possibly not even install) on the 64 bit version. If it's a problem getting Mathcad running on 64 bit that would certainly force my decision.

I run Mathcad 15 on a Win 7, 64 bit laptop without any problem.

Alan

What steps did you follow?

Following the link in the email from PTC, I just downloaded (again) the install file for MP3. I was unable to get a link to M15 (see circular logic above). I am now installing, and there is no reference to M15.

The installation of MP3 went as expected, and the license type is Commercial.

Now how to get M15?

~R~

Edit 2014-07-08: PTC replied quickly, and noted that I also need MSXML 4.0 SP2 (thoought that I had checked that??), and provided a download lnk. I wish that the install program identified all the missing pieces and asked to install them. M15 ran after I installed MSXML 4.0 SP2, but only as a trial. I now must rollback my hard drive to before I started all this, install MSXML 4.0 SP2 and .NET 3.5.1. I have downloaded this

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/113152/en/mathcad15.pdf

which actually specifies MSXML 4.0 SP3, not SP2, M15 ran with SP2.

I will try installing M15 first, asking for a trial, then install MP3, trying to license both Actually, I just pointed M15 at the MP3 license, and it seems to have worked, so I'll have that as a fall back when I rebuild this HD in the next few days.

~R~

Edit 2014-07-09: I am running M15 and MP3 on Windows 7 Pro x64. I rolled back the HD to before all the dificulty. I installed .NET and MSXML 4.0 SP3, and verified that they are active. Then I installed M15, requesting a trial. Then I installed MP3 using my commercial license. Then I went back to M15, noting the license location in MP3, and configured it to use the MP3 license. It all seems to be working. A new M15 doc identifies itself as M14.1. I was expecting problems because of past history, but really if I had paid close attention to the references on the PTC web site, I'd have been OK. I /thought/ that I had verified MSXML, but had not. I asked PTC to include checks of these required products in the install program.

~R~

Top Tags