cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Working with and evaluating volumes

awibroe
14-Alexandrite

Working with and evaluating volumes

Morning to all,

So a few of you have seen I have had varying questions about MC's abilities in the last 24 hours which have lead me to my ultimate question on working with and evaluating volumes.

I am looking to see if MC (and if not taking recomendations for other software) can help me in my next quest. 

I am looking at defining a 3D shape (the underwater profile of a ship) and then being able to evaluate the shape i.e. what is its volume, where is its centroid, calculate moments about its centreline etc. 

The shape I have in mind can be defined in one of two ways but in both a number of 'slices' of the ship's profile are defined usually in terms of x,y,z ordinates to give a number of 2D profiles either working from front to back or from top to bottom. I know that I could plot each 2D 'slice' in MC and could then evaluate using integration but is it possible to 'put these together' and evaluate the 3D shape in a similar method? 

Or is there a better software out there for this? I thought of 3D CAD type softwares but don't know if these have the mathmatical caability of MC (It has been years since I have used CAD software but don't mind getting back into it).

Any thoughts or advice warmly welcomed.

A

PS to give a visual idea of what I am working with below is a google image of the sort of thing where by a number of vertical 'stations' are defined for a ship and I would need to essentially integrate them all to give a volumetric property.

Image result for ship hull station diagram
30 REPLIES 30

@awibroe wrote:
Valery,

I'll have a go at translating as an English Naval Architect Student for sure.

Andy

Thanks Andy!
You can write more in this article and be a coauthor!
I have 4 articles with coautors from PTC Community 
One present from me - a Mathcad-clock!
But not from 1 to 12 hr - from 1 to 24 hr^ for ubots and space ships!
Val

Top Tags