cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

chart component

TerryRickard
6-Contributor

chart component

Has anyone figured out how to plot a vector of points using the chart component in Prime?  It used to be so simple in Mathcad 15.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TerryRickard
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks for your help, Werner and Luc.  After a struggle, I finally got the chart component to do what I want (sort of).  Now, if they would just allow more than 50K points per trace, but I suppose that's too much to ask of a 64 BIT APPLICATION!!!!

The other quirk, which almost gave me a heart attack, is that when I go to save a worksheet that has several chart components, it makes me open and close the UI for EVERY ONE OF THEM before it will save.  I can only hope that this buggy POS will be improved before my Mathcad 15 licenses run out.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Something like this?

Werner_E_0-1652734258804.png

The far too tiny numbers in the chart component to the left are because the chart component does not scale properly if used with a higher screen resolution. Thats one of the reasons its useless for me.
I used Prime 6 but I had not heard that they would have improved something here in the newer Prime versions.

TerryRickard
6-Contributor

Thanks Werner.  I already have a (large) defined vector to plot.  Just want the x-axis to be the element index of the vector and the y-axis to be the vector element values.  The chart component insists upon X being a scalar.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:TerryRickard)

Like this:

LucMeekes_0-1652735824145.png

Success!
Luc

Thanks Luc.  How does the function "max" you show in the third element of the "matrix" function correspond to f(i,1) = i?  Seem like bizarre notation.

So as you still provide no example I assume that you are used to plot y[i over a range variable i, correct? Something like

Werner_E_0-1652742421941.png

And your problem is that the silly chart component does not accept a range as X?

So you have to create a vector with the necessary x-values and use this vector in the chart component:

Werner_E_1-1652742506309.png

Prime 6 worksheet attached

TerryRickard
6-Contributor

Thanks for your help, Werner and Luc.  After a struggle, I finally got the chart component to do what I want (sort of).  Now, if they would just allow more than 50K points per trace, but I suppose that's too much to ask of a 64 BIT APPLICATION!!!!

The other quirk, which almost gave me a heart attack, is that when I go to save a worksheet that has several chart components, it makes me open and close the UI for EVERY ONE OF THEM before it will save.  I can only hope that this buggy POS will be improved before my Mathcad 15 licenses run out.

After repeated buggy problems, I finally got the chart component to work.  It's pretty pathetic compared to what's available in Mathcad 15, but I could make do if only they would allow more than 50K points per trace.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

What makes you think the Chart component is limited to 50k points per trace?

Here is one with two traces of 200k points each:

LucMeekes_0-1653154076695.png

The actual limit is 2 million:

LucMeekes_1-1653154264141.png

Success!
Luc

From the "About Performance" in the Chart Component help menu, see the last bullet:

About Performance
Plotting large data sets in chart components can affect performance.
To help you minimize this effect, the following limitations are built-in:
The maximum number of traces is 50 per chart component
The maximum number of plotted data points is 2,000,000 per trace
Charts that have at least one trace with more than 50,000 points lose their selection layer in the chart application
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

"lose their selection layer in the chart application":

Not a big loss. Or (I'll gladly admit that) I am blind. I don't see what gets lost.

What is this 'selection layer' anyway? If I search for it in the help, the only item found is where it occurs in the "about performance".

I've tried plots with more and less than 50000 points per trace, and can find no difference in the interface.

Success!

Luc

Luc,

I'm told by Mathcad technical support that this means that a secondary axis plot cannot have more than 50K data points.  I haven't been able to find and definition of "selection layer" either, but it must refer to being able to select for a secondary y-axis.

I haven't tried yet in the chart component but maybe thats a similar limitation as in the native Prime 2D plot. There the numbers are the same - a max of about 2 million points but if the trace has  50k points or more, you will not be able to set points/symbol, line style and thickness.

TerryRickard
6-Contributor

I think it's worse than that.  I'm told by multiple tech support folks that you cannot plot more than 50K data points on the secondary axis, period.  Imbecilic to have such a limitation in a 64 bit application!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Below is a Chart plot, with three traces, each of 100k points. The cosine (green trace) is plot along the Y2 axis.

LucMeekes_0-1653307976294.png

I still wonder what is limited above 50 k points...

(Except of course the working with units, but that's also impossible for Chart plots of less than 50 k points per trace.)

Success!

Luc

This little dialog has been quite useful.  Apparently you can indeed plot more than 50K points on a secondary axis.  Someone needs to tell Mathcad tech support that this constraint has been removed if it existed.  Also, the confusing language re "selection layer" should be removed from the help files or else clarified as to what it means.

My understanding from our conversation earlier is that you did try to plot those points, but you couldn't?

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.
TerryRickard
6-Contributor
(To:DJNewman)

I was told by Mathcad support before familiarizing myself with the chart component that you could only plot 50K points on the secondary y-axis.  Last night, I tried and was able to plot more than that.  The help pages are very ambiguous and confusing about this subject.

I'd recommend clicking the email icon at the corner of the About Performance page to send feedback to the Documentation team, if you haven't already. To me, it reads that there's a limit of two million traces, but there is an ambiguous performance problem after 50,000 traces (whatever the selection layer is). They could clarify that.

But glad to hear that the Chart Component (while not perfect) is more powerful than you (and Support) gave it credit for!

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.
TerryRickard
6-Contributor
(To:DJNewman)

Done.

Top Tags