cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

f(x)=x*(x^1i)^1i and " Division by zero ".

lvl107
20-Turquoise

f(x)=x*(x^1i)^1i and " Division by zero ".

Hello, Everyone.

Division+by+zero+.PNG

I think I don't understand about that and need help with an explanation.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Best Regards.

5 REPLIES 5
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:lvl107)

The answer to this question was already given here: http://communities.ptc.com/message/235557#235557

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

%281%29.PNG

Could I do like this ? :

%282%29+.PNG

Thanks again, Werner.

Best Regards.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Could I do like this ? :

%282%29+.PNG

Yes. Your version of Mathcad is wrong concerning the result x-->0.

My version (MC15 M030) yields an "no solution found" error here.

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

(1

Best Regards.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Could it be that Mathcad is made more for solving real life problems than for playing around with meaningless relations with lot of ambiguity???

Your function f() is an infinite series of discrete constant values for every value of x - so in mathematics its not called a function at all, just an relation. Every value of x has an infinite number of assigned values. So the answer to your question to Mathcad (f(x)=exp(-2pi) x=?) should be: "any x you like as long as its unequal to zero ". Its OK for me that Mathcads chokes on this. Guess you must get rid of the idea that Mathcad would solve everthing you carefully think of and construct painfully.

And to answer another question of yours: k is not only >= 0, it can be any integer from minus to plus infinity. Trust the mathematics, trust your brain, trust your knowledge and trust your technical literature. But don't trust Mathcad in every case, its just a tool, it s not the incarnation of math.

Your function f should plot as a series of lines but Mathcad makes it a function chosing one specific value depending on the range x is chosen from.

See attached file - the red lines are part of the real "function", the blue step curve is what Mathcad choses to be the function plot. Again its best to plot in a log-log system - that way the steps widths and heights are equidistant.

09.03b.png

Top Tags