cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

home edition

johnyoung
1-Newbie

home edition

Now that Matlab and Mathematica have home edition software at an affordable price, is PTC going to follow suit? It only makes sense if one does not fall into either the professional workplace or student category but would like to use the application for home use only.

6 REPLIES 6

Nothing is free there's always a catch.

Well, PTC has a "Home" version and it comes with the purchase of a regular version, but a license to "Home" version does exactly one year after the start of the activation of the license.

Not the same thing. Neither Matlab nor Mathematica require purchasing the regular version in order to get the "Home " version. This is a separate product from the professional and student version. I believe this is to get them more exposure to home users but at a significantly reduced price. Don't get me wrong, I'm a long time user of Mathcad since it first came out in the early 80's; and I'm still using it. I've used both Matlab and Mathematica and have always come back to Mathcad for I find the previous packages cumbersome to use for what I do. I've come to the same conclusion when using Maple. Matlab and Mathematica see potential in addressing the home market directly at a substantially lower price tag why not PTC. Wasn't that Mathsoft in the being! I read too many comments where long time users have dropped using Mathcad because of the cost and other related issues. What better way to get them back by offering a Home Edition at an affordable price.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:johnyoung)

Maple also offers a "personal edition" at a much lower price.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:johnyoung)

john young wrote:

Not the same thing. Neither Matlab nor Mathematica require purchasing the regular version in order to get the "Home " version. This is a separate product from the professional and student version. I believe this is to get them more exposure to home users but at a significantly reduced price. Don't get me wrong, I'm a long time user of Mathcad since it first came out in the early 80's; and I'm still using it. I've used both Matlab and Mathematica and have always come back to Mathcad for I find the previous packages cumbersome to use for what I do. I've come to the same conclusion when using Maple. Matlab and Mathematica see potential in addressing the home market directly at a substantially lower price tag why not PTC. Wasn't that Mathsoft in the being! I read too many comments where long time users have dropped using Mathcad because of the cost and other related issues. What better way to get them back by offering a Home Edition at an affordable price.

I've just got the Mathematica one ... unfortunately, it's licenced for my iMac, which has just had a catastrophic HDD failure and my Windows PC has sort of been taken over by the children for their game playing school work. So I've got to get that sorted out before I can play. I'll probably end up getting Matlab as well, as that's what we use at work.

I wouldn't mind (too much) if PTC were to adopt the Mathworks route and want a small fee (£/$/€/¥ 25)for each "block", eg programming or symbolic, although I'd prefer a Mathematica approach.

Stuart

Top Tags