cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

mathcad 15: How to keep old solutions

adnn
8-Gravel

mathcad 15: How to keep old solutions

Dear All,

Is there any option for mathcad 15 to just keep the solution it arrived at before closing (and saving) the sheet for its next use ?

I mean, if I have the automatic calculation turned off, and I have some statements like

a:= 5

b:=6

c:=a+b

c=11                  (pressing f9 / caluculate shows the answer for the value of c)

If I save and exit, the next time I open the sheet, can I have mathcad directly show me 11 as the value of c (without me pressing f9 again) ?

Many thanks for your time in advance !

Warm Regards,

Aravind.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:adnn)

That is THE reason why I have automatic calculation switched off, standard.

In your case, whith automatic calculation switched off in the saved sheet, open the sheet, go to the page where this parameter's value needs to be changed, change the parameter value and press CTRL-F9, to re-calculate the entire sheet. Then wait for the answer.

If the results of the first x pages is ALWAYS the same, then it makes sense to create a separate sheet that calculates them, and writes the results out to a PRN file. In another sheet the PRN file contents can be read in and be used for further calculations.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

With Mathcad 15 its not possible to do what you are asking for. It does not save the results of calculations when you save the worksheet.

The behavior you are looking for is exactly the way Prime works. When you open a Prime worksheet you see the saved result of the last calculation, no matter if autocalc is on or off. That way the limited Express version of Prime is able to display worksheets using advanced features not allowed in Prime Express.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Mathcad 15 does save the calculation results in the (.xmcd) sheet file, unless you've turned that feature Off to save file space,

BUT

it is not saved in a way that Mathcad can use it to recreate a sheet. The saved format is in the form of pictures.Try this tool

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Can-t-see-your-sheet-but/m-p/636482

to see what Mathcad 15 (and 14) save in their sheet files apart from the structure information that is saved to recreate a sheet in the Mathcad window upon opening a sheet file.

You can use this tool to share your Mathcad 14 & 15 sheets with others (e.g. customers) that do not have any Mathcad installed.

Success!

Luc

adnn
8-Gravel
(To:LucMeekes)

Thank you for the tool, LucMeekes, but my problem is a bit different.

I have a long mathcad sheet with a bunch of hidden areas (each having some loops of solve blocks, which take like 20-30- secs to execute). 

But if I have to open the sheet and just change one parameter in the 5th hidden area, Mathcad runs all the way from the top and I have to wait out 4 * 30 secs which have no change from previously calculated values.

Unfortunately I cannot use 'disable evaluation' as some of the results of 1st hidden area are used in the 2nd and so on. I can write out the results to excel (.csv file) and read back in but I wanted to avoid that if possible.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

That is THE reason why I have automatic calculation switched off, standard.

In your case, whith automatic calculation switched off in the saved sheet, open the sheet, go to the page where this parameter's value needs to be changed, change the parameter value and press CTRL-F9, to re-calculate the entire sheet. Then wait for the answer.

If the results of the first x pages is ALWAYS the same, then it makes sense to create a separate sheet that calculates them, and writes the results out to a PRN file. In another sheet the PRN file contents can be read in and be used for further calculations.

Success!
Luc

Top Tags