cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

paste equation from word in ptc

BD_10159625
1-Newbie

paste equation from word in ptc

Hello. i am trying to paste an equation i wrote in microsoft office (word) into ptc to calculate it for me.

when i press Ctrl + V it pastes the equation with comma marks and they can't be deleted. what should i do ?

10 REPLIES 10

Hi,

I guess you have to edit m1 definition. This means remove quotes and modify operators.

Martin Hanák

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

I guess you have to edit m1 definition. This means remove quotes and modify operators.

Doesn't work in Mathcad Express 7 - Prime doesn't recognize the expression sufficiently well to allow editing.

Stuart

@BD_10159625 wrote:

Hello. i am trying to paste an equation i wrote in microsoft office (word) into ptc to calculate it for me.

when i press Ctrl + V it pastes the equation with comma marks and they can't be deleted. what should i do ?

It sure would be a nice feature, but why do you think that Prime will understands and can convert M$ Office formulas?

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:Werner_E)

@Werner_E wrote:

@BD_10159625 wrote:

It sure would be a nice feature

It, or something similar, has long been on my feature request list, including the ability to paste a standard C expression in and have it auto-convert and also to implement a Mathcad text programming language to support writing programs when one has no access to Mathcad.

I sometimes have an idea when I'm not near my laptop, eg travelling, and it would be very convenient to be able to type it up on my phone and then just copy&paste the expressions straight into a worksheet.  Another use is typing up a Mathcad worksheet content when describing an algorithm in a non-Mathcad environment (eg, Project Euler, Rosetta Code, or Stack Exchange) - it is a pain doing it manually.  ΤΕΧ is another option I've requested to make it easier to paste WYSIWYG equations into websites that support it (eg, via MathJax).

Hey ho, 

Stuart

@StuartBruff wrote:

It, or something similar, has long been on my feature request list, .....

... I've requested to make it easier ...

Although I can't understand it, I have to admit that I admire and appreciate your undiminished (and I fear misplaced) optimism a lot!

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:Werner_E)

@Werner_E wrote:

@StuartBruff wrote:

It, or something similar, has long been on my feature request list, .....

... I've requested to make it easier ...

Although I can't understand it, I have to admit that I admire and appreciate your undiminished (and I fear misplaced) optimism a lot!

😀

If it's any consolation  Werner, I've booked an urgent psychiatric appointment to help cure my optimism and ability to see the funny side of things. I blame it on too much Monty Python, The Goons, The Goodies, The Bonzo Dog Dooh Dah Band, and other anarchic influences as a child. 

I must have self-identified with Wile E Coyote, always out there trying to catch the Roadrunner with my Acme products, knowing full well I'm going to get flattened by an anvil after falling into a ravine  ... we already know PTC keep removing capability just to annoy me (https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Prime-3-1-Method-for-converting-range-variable-to-vector-no/m-p/437692/highlight/true#M171816). 

Stuart

"Everything Will Be Alright in the End...".

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:VladimirN)

@VladimirN wrote:

"Everything Will Be Alright in the End...".

🙂

Ah, Ecclesiastes 7:8-10 ... или Екклесиаст 7:8-10, если хотите 

8  Конец дела лучше его начала, терпение лучше гордости.
9  Не спеши впадать в гнев, потому что гнев обитает в сердце глупцов.
10 Не спрашивай: «Почему прежние дни были лучше сегодняшних?» – не от мудрости задают такие вопросы.

Very apt ...

Stuart

From your picture it appears that Prime is inserting the formula as a string.  There has been some recent activity doing some text editing (#StuartBruff) that may point the way to a converter from text string to math.

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

From your picture it appears that Prime is inserting the formula as a string.  There has been some recent activity doing some text editing (#StuartBruff) that may point the way to a converter from text string to math.

Unfortunately, what it seems to require is a parser.   I've got a Lisp parser that could be tweaked to handle Polish notation.  I could, I suppose, write a converter for it to deal with standard maths notation.

However, the output is the result of the expression, not the expression itself in a Mathcad-viewable/useable format.  

It would be possible in Mathcad 15 by creating an XML version and using a component to create/edit a region.  Regrettably, Prime doesn't (yet) have useful components.  Another option might be to create an external program to handle the conversion via the Mathcad API or paste the XML into Windows' edit buffer.  However, that's a lot of kerfuffle on the user's part and tramples on the concept of Mathcad as an IDE.

Stuart

Top Tags