cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

problems with variables

AS_10152308
2-Guest

problems with variables

Hi folks, I'm a beginner in Mathcad. I have a problem but unfortunately I have no idea how to solve it. Can anyone help me? 

Kind regards,

Arvid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can't define a function and use inline evaluation (The = at the end)

Guess that the attached file should help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

The error message tells you quite clearly that you have a unit mismatch.

The first summand (p(x)*LB has unit kN but the second (p(x)*x^2) has unit  kN*m.

You can't add quantities with different dimensions. So you'll have to either check your equation and make it unit consistent or, if its an empirical equation, you'll have to make it unitless.

Many thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, that's not the real problem. I made the equation unit consistent. Although I defined x as a variable above. Mathcad gives me an error message: This variable is not defined. Check that the caption is set correctly.
How do I have to define x to make it work?

You can't define a function and use inline evaluation (The = at the end)

Guess that the attached file should help.

You are correct with your assumption. I need the values of x and MEd.y(x) for further calculations. How can I solve this?

You already have a function to calculate MED.y for any value of x you like.

What would you need a vector of values for?

Thinking in terms of lists of values may stem from working with a spreadsheet and usually isn't necessary when working with Mathcad.

Anyway, for whatever it may be worth, find attached a sheet which shows one way to create a vector of x-values and the vector with the appropriate M-values. It also shows a simple but undocumented way to turn a range into a vector. As its undocumented there is no guarantee that it works the same in future versions.

Top Tags