cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

"Explicit" command

ptc-3176228
1-Newbie

"Explicit" command

I am trying to use "Explicit" command. It is to show the detail calculation of a formula. The problem is I have no control in the way the values are represented. I mean it seems that the command changes the units and then convert them to what they are suppose to be. This bring a conversion factor between the other numbers which is not wanted to be shown. Has anyone any solution for this issue? See the attached file.
1 REPLY 1
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-3176228)

It's a limitation of the way explicit was implemented. Mathcad has two calculation engines, symbolic and numeric, and they handles units differently. The symbolic processor is not units aware, and "handles" them by simply treating them the same way it treats any undefined variable. When you use the explicit keyword you are using the symbolic processor. A numeric assignment results in a value that is stored internally in SI units, regardless of the unit system chosen. So when you calculate tau the value is stored as 4.597*18^8, with units of Pa. On the other hand, sigma is simply an assignment, not a calculated value. The number is stored internally in SI units, but when you do a symbolic evaluation it is not used. The symbolic processor uses the expression 12*ksi. Richard
Top Tags