cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

whats the difference

QUTADAh
6-Contributor

whats the difference

Hi guys as you see I am using this matrix and want to find eigenvalues and vector but dont understand the difference between two numeric and symbolic solutions, why are they different?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:QUTADAh)

You should realize that Mathcad contains a numeric processor an a symbolic processor. They approach your mathematical problem form a different standpoint, and therefore can produce different answers to the same problem.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Werner_E
25-Diamond I

On contrary to Eigenvalues, Eigenvectors are not unique. Every multiple of an Eigenvector is an Eigenvector, too.

So you are free to use (1;1) as eigenvector or (0.75; 0.75).

Mathcads numerics uses eigenvectors with length 1 while the symbolics doesn't normalizes that way.

For future questions: Instead or additionally to pics please always attach your worksheet.

QUTADAh
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

Worksheet is usually long thats why i attach a pic instead..

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

You should realize that Mathcad contains a numeric processor an a symbolic processor. They approach your mathematical problem form a different standpoint, and therefore can produce different answers to the same problem.

Success!
Luc

QUTADAh
6-Contributor
(To:LucMeekes)

and how do I know which answer I want? thanks!

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

@QUTADAh wrote:

and how do I know which answer I want? thanks!

How should we know which answer you need?

If you don't know why you calculate eigenvectors of a matrix and what you should do with them, you probably don't need to calculate them at all 😉

The worksheet with the eigenvectors sure is not too large and if a worksheet you experience a problem with is too large or contains confident data, you should try to narrow down the problem and create a smaller example sheet which shows the problem/error, too. After all, its hard to debug just a picture and we often need a live worksheet to play with, to find the reason for an error or a suitable workaround.

QUTADAh
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

Actually I just made this code to ask the question with Symbolic and numeric solutions, I am not directly interested in the eigenvector itself, but this cleared it up now! For the future worksheets I will just narrow down the problem and post the worksheet to make it easier for you guys to play around with.

Thanks alot !

Announcements

Top Tags