cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Controlling FUJI VFD via Thingworx

cnuga
10-Marble

Controlling FUJI VFD via Thingworx

I am trying to figure out how to control Fuji Variable Frequency Drive using Thingworx Industrial Connectivity.  The VFD uses Modbus protocol. Is there an example or guide I can follow?

7 REPLIES 7
rsharp-2
7-Bedrock
(To:cnuga)

I can help you! Modbus is an open protocol, so there is no document that is just fo rthe VFD, but I may be able to help. A few questions: Do you know if the protocol is Modbus RTU "serial", or is the protocol Modbus TCP? Do you happen to know the Slave node number configured in the VFD? Do you also have a list of Modbus Memory addresses, for this device?

Rob

cnuga
10-Marble
(To:rsharp-2)

I believe the protocol is Modbus RTU, the following is the guide https://americas.fujielectric.com/files/RS-485_Users_Manual_24A7-E-0082.pdf

I plan to use a connector which connect RJ45 to USB, how do I connect it to Thingwork?

rsharp-2
7-Bedrock

The RJ45 to usb cable may just use pass through or what is sometimes called TCP socket mode. Is the USB side plugging into the VFD, then you are going plug the RJ45 into a switch? If so you would use Ethernet encapsulation with the Modbus RTU serial driver and point to the IP and port configured in the cable.

cnuga
10-Marble

RJ45 goes into the VFD, I am using a converter to convert RJ45 to USB

rsharp-2
7-Bedrock

Will the USB, show up as a virtual com port?

cnuga
10-Marble

Yes. 

rsharp-2
7-Bedrock

Got it then you would use the Modbus Serial driver to connect to this Virtual Com port. I would test the data in the OPC Quick client before hooking the data into ThingWorx.

Top Tags