cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How to Connect TW to KepWare

mgimat
1-Newbie

How to Connect TW to KepWare

Dear community,

I Installed yesterday the ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps on my computer and I tried to connect it to my KepWare server (KEPServerEX 6) without success.

I always got the same message: error: Could not initialize a secure socket connection.

I followed exactly the tutorial video, verified  the host, port, resource, application key, and Thing name.

I even ping to hostname to verify it receives something.

I already tried several times to uninstall and install everything again without sucess.

Could someone have a clue?

Thanks for your help.

Marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi  Marc,

That menu you are in is for the Config API service. The host and port are different from what you have been testing, but it may be a firewall blocking connections in both instances.

Are ThingWorx and KEPServerEX on different PCs? If they are, we will still want to try the test mentioned before. Open a web browser on the KEPServerEX PC and try connecting with either of these URLs:

lcipmpa17792.ad.compa.corp:9080/Thingworx/Composer

-or-

lcipmpa17792.ad.compa.corp:9080/Thingworx/FormLogin/Welcome

What are the results of those tests?

If neither URL succeds, can you try testing the socket connection, using Telnet? Here is a link to instructions on this:

How to use Telnet to test TCP connections​

-Steven M

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
mthakker
6-Contributor
(To:mgimat)

Hi Marc,

What versions of KEPServer (6.x) and ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps (8.x) are you using?  In addition, can you provide the screenshot of your KEPServer ThingWorx configuration and the Controls Advisor screen where you connect a KEPServer?

Thanks,

Milan

Thanks for your Feedback Milan,

I'm using KEPServer EX 6.4 and ThingWorx-Manufacturing-Apps-8.1.2

Here are my screenshots:

Capture KEPServer.PNG

Capture TW.PNG

Thanks for your help.

Marc

mthakker
6-Contributor

Hi Marc,

Can you do me a favor and try to use KEPServerEx 6.3?

Thanks,

Milan

Unfortunately I can't.

I have the demo version, and I can only download the the latest version.

Is there an issue with the last update?

mgimat
1-Newbie

HelloMilan Thakker​​,

Is there an issue with the fact that my version is a free demo?

Thanks for your feedback.

Marc

mthakker
6-Contributor

Hi Marc,

No this is not an issue with the fact that you're on the demo version.  I haven't validated KEPServer 6.4 with the ThingWorx manufacturing apps, and I've seen a similar error when my versioning was a problem.  If you log into myKepware.com you should be able to download an older version of KEPServer with the same limitations.

Thanks,

Milan

Thanks, I managed to download it. Will keep you posted.

Marc

mgimat
1-Newbie

Didn't work, still got the same message with the 6.3 version

Hi Marc and Milan,

I would not suspect there being a problem with the current version of KEPServerEX. The progression through releases of KEPServerEX is usually pretty stable, and there have not been any major changes made to fundamental connection aspects, like forming a socket connection; especially not without rigorous testing.

Can you please confirm, can you launch a web browser local to KEPServerEX and form the connection to ThingWorx Composer?

Best regards,

Steven M

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your point, I'm quite new here, how could I "launch a web browser local to KEPServerEX and form the connection to ThingWorx Composer"

Thanks.

Marc

Hi Marc,

That's no problem. Since you tested your connection with a ping, and since you are not using the 'localhost' host name, I assume you have KEPServerEX and ThingWorx installed on different PCs. Is this true?

If so, launch a web browser on the KEPServerEX PC and enter the ThingWorx Composer URL from your previous screenshot. Does this connection succeed?

-Steven M

At the begining, was on two different PC, but was not working, so I installed everything on the same PC.

I shall use the local host name thus?

Hi Marc,

Yes, you can try localhost. We mainly need to figure out how to satisfy the ThingWorx platform (and ultimately Winsock) to allow the socket connection.

If localhost does not work, open Controls Advisor, select "TESTV2", then select the Key icon just above that. This should give you the connection info you need to enter into the KEPServerEX Project Properties (within the ThingWorx menu).

Any better?

-Steven M

Morning Steven,

I verified that all connection info are correct and aligned with the one in KEPServerEX.

I try to check the settings of KEPServer try the url in view in browser below and it is not working either, told me that the connection is not possible.

Would it have a link with my issue?

Thanks for your support.

Marc.

Hi  Marc,

That menu you are in is for the Config API service. The host and port are different from what you have been testing, but it may be a firewall blocking connections in both instances.

Are ThingWorx and KEPServerEX on different PCs? If they are, we will still want to try the test mentioned before. Open a web browser on the KEPServerEX PC and try connecting with either of these URLs:

lcipmpa17792.ad.compa.corp:9080/Thingworx/Composer

-or-

lcipmpa17792.ad.compa.corp:9080/Thingworx/FormLogin/Welcome

What are the results of those tests?

If neither URL succeds, can you try testing the socket connection, using Telnet? Here is a link to instructions on this:

How to use Telnet to test TCP connections​

-Steven M

Greetings Marc GIMAT,

Following up with you on the original question posted here, can you please indicate if any of the recommendations given above answered this for you?

If any of these posts adequately answered your question, you can mark the reply as the "Correct Answer."

Or, if you are still unresolved on your original question, let us know and we can continue troubleshooting this with you. This feedback is a key step toward ensuring Community users with a similar issue are able to locate the information they need.

Best regards,

Steven M

Top Tags