cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How do I create variation of plate with several holes

Shankar_DT
7-Bedrock

How do I create variation of plate with several holes

plate drawing.JPGhole-data.JPG

Hello,

Please refer the drawing of 2 plates with several holes. I would like to create lets say smaller plate first and when I need to create bigger plate I would like to reuse smaller plate and by changing only few parameters new model should be ready. I have seen functionality in SWX which is called driveworks. 

How to achieve this with Creo modeling? Thanks in advance.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A cursory look at the dimensions seems to indicate that the larger plate could be built by adding more material to the border of the small plate, then creating the outer hole pattern. If you're worried about changing one and having the other's holes comply, make it a family table part and have one instance be the small and the other, with the added features, is the large.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Not possible, "Creo Elements Direct" is not parametric.

---------------------
SolidDesigner-20.5 + PE8 + PhoenixPDM + Solidworks + Blender

Hi I am sorry, I think I was not clear in posting the query. I would like to model "smaller tube plate" first from the drawing provided in Creo paramateric and then would like to use design data of "smaller tube plate" and then by changing plate dimension would wish to see number of holes change automatically in "bigger tube plate"

Thanks in advance. 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Shankar_DT)

With Creo Parametric, just make a copy of the small plate and then edit the dimensions for the larger plate. I am not seeing a uniform relation between the 2 plates and the hole patterns so using a multiplication factor would not work.

If you wanted to put the values of the dimensions in the part as parameters, you could do that, but it is a bit trickier.

A cursory look at the dimensions seems to indicate that the larger plate could be built by adding more material to the border of the small plate, then creating the outer hole pattern. If you're worried about changing one and having the other's holes comply, make it a family table part and have one instance be the small and the other, with the added features, is the large.

Elements direct modeling has a parametric module called advanced assembly and, if you want to get into it at this level, a full macro language called the ikit (integration tool kit).  In the parametric package you can also define a parametric pattern in which you can parametrically constrain the direction and number of holes.  As I see it the holes & geometry of the smaller plate are rigid.  The size of the plate can be constrained to the hole pattern with properly associated variables.  The plate can be resized by assigning new values to the parametric variables.  The larger plate has the addition of perimeter holes.  Off of the top of my head I cannot think of a direct parametric solution so my initial plan of attack would be to parametrically constrain some 3D vertices as named elements and then create a custom macro to use the locations of these vertices to create the parameter hole patterns.  It would, in my opinion and as stated in another reply, be easier to start with the larger plate and have a macro that deleted the parameter holes to create the smaller plate.

Elements direct modeler has a recorder than can be used to help write the macros.  The recorder is installed into the toolbox by typing in the command (load "recorder") in the command line.

Thanks,

Scott

Top Tags