cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant Specific Part and BOM Management with MPMLink

Level 7

Plant Specific Part and BOM Management with MPMLink

Hello,

On April 24th 2019, the subject of this working group is to discuss about managing Plant information of Material and BOM's in Windchill MPMLink.   If you could come prepared with the following answers to this home work:

• How many plants do you currently manage in Windchill?
  • What are the types and volume of attributes that you manage currently in Windchill or you are planning to do so?
  • Do you currently manage Alternate or BOM types in Windchill?  Do you have use case for this in future?
  • How important you see to have the plant information managed upstream in a system like Windchill MPMLink?
  • How you manage the supplier chain? (Internal versus external)
  • What are the main GAP's you see in Windchill MPMLink in that area?
9 REPLIES 9
Level 3

Re: Plant Specific Part and BOM Management with MPMLink

See attached file for answers to your questions from a Boston Scientific perspective. 

Level 7

Excellent and well documented... Hopefully the others will respond in the same maner
Highlighted
Level 7

Here's my perspective of our situation at Mitsubishi.

Thanks,

Casey

Level 8

• How many plants do you currently manage in Windchill?
    • Just 1 - Plans to expand as we expand our usage globally.  We will have about 10 plants in total.
  • What are the types and volume of attributes that you manage currently in Windchill or you are planning to do so?
    • Very minimal attributes outside of our default attributes.  We use partslink and classification to drive most attributes and part naming.  
    • Added a couple attributes on parts to operation and operation to process plan usage.  Can detail this in more detail soon.  Mostly to support information we send to the MES system.
  • Do you currently manage Alternate or BOM types in Windchill?  Do you have use case for this in future?
    • Currently don't have alternates in BOM's, but working towards that.  With ERP and MES all connected and generating an as-built BOM in MES we are striving to better define part alternates and/or substitutions within the BOM.
    • For BOM types we only are using BOM views, (ebom, mbom, sbom)
  • How important you see to have the plant information managed upstream in a system like Windchill MPMLink?
    • Very important as our connected MES system will need to know all this information as we process plan in MPMLink.  The plan must tell the MES system what facility the plan is for also what work center is used for each operation.
    • The difficult part is trying to determine how to create a process plan that can be used across facilities, you cannot make a multi plant process plan.  How about an operation that can also be used in multiple work centers.  This is all something we are looking for down the road as our maturity develops.  Currently in MES you can plan to a "default" but work centers can be changed on a work order basis.
  • How you manage the supplier chain? (Internal versus external)
    • This is all done in ERP right now.  We are using some of the SUMA module in Windchill but only for service parts to link the manufacturer Part Number to internal part number.  
    • Big question is what if I make a process plan to build a part/assembly in house, then want to have a supplier build it?  How can I send them the process plan I have created, or create a process plan for them and send to them?  I would prefer this over creating a drawing as the plans are easier to make.
  • What are the main GAP's you see in Windchill MPMLink in that area?
    • The ability to save Process Plans outside of Windchill so it can be sent for manufacture to someone who doesn't have Windchill.  Such as export to PDF/3DPDF.  
    • Other gaps is how to store as-built BOMs in the system.  Typically they are generated in a MES system, but does it remain in MES, or does it get sent back to Windchill as part of data maintenance and ongoing use by aftermarket, service, etc?
    • Along with the as-built, then also the open gaps are around MRO, for maintenance, repair and overhaul.  This is an area of the business that can generate more revenue than the initial manufacture.  Creating service and repair process plans for as-built configurations.  Then eventually leading to major overhaul of systems.  
Level 6

Steelcase responses attached.

Level 7

Hello,

Erik is on vacation but the login that he provided to me for the meeting are not working... I need to apologize for the inconvenient.   

Very sorry.   Tried everything I could but it didn't work

Level 8

Sorry to hear that didn't work out, if you would like to reschedule the meeting next week, let me know and I'll get it going.  We could do Tuesday or Thursday at the same time.

Level 7

Hi Eric,

Please confirm the date and I will join the call if it is a web session

Level 6

Here are our answers. We are not very far along in this particular part of the journey.

I do have a question on how multiple engineering views may affect downstream tools like mpm link. Let me know if there is any documentation to review that would help.  i.e. instead of an engineering view, mfg view, and service view  what if there were several engineering views in addition to the mfg view and service view?  Does that change the game at all? or is best practice to stay with one engineering view and let mpm link handle all the complexity of bom variances related to build location?