cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Adding users to Windchill Project

nrensing
5-Regular Member

Adding users to Windchill Project

We're excited about the new Windchill server, and would like to try using it to work collaboratively on our CREO models this build season. I have a small group of students ready to start designing some stuff right away, but I'm having trouble adding them to our Windchill project. The students who were already on Windchill seem to still be there, but if I search for other returning team members the search comes back empty. They can still login to their PTC accounts, but I can't find them on Windchill. We have been able to add a new student who just created her account a week ago, it seems to only be a problem with older accounts. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Noa Rensing

FRC Team 2877 The Ligerbots

Newton MA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:nrensing)

Okay, I didn't let this one drop. Can you please try again? User management at PTC and its connection to the various Windchill systems is a bit complex. I have been working with PTC IT and they have come up with a solution today.

All the users on your project team should belong to the "First" Organization as shown in the image below. As long as they are in the "First" Organization, you should be able to find them right away now.

wcprofile.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Students can give themselves any name they want in their PTC account, so its not always easy to find them. Best method is to simply add them all by email address. Either get them in a room together or have them all send you the email address they used for their PTC account.

If students, mentors, teachers, etc. are creating new accounts, be sure they use the "Academic" option for their account. This will let them chose their academic program of choice, FIRST, to make sure they have access to all the right content.

NewAccountSmall.png

nrensing
5-Regular Member
(To:sm)

Thanks, but that's exactly what we're already doing, searching by email. We've even had the kids log into their PTC accounts to make sure that the account is still active and that we're using the appropriate email address. We've been able to find and add some of the new students, but the search returns empty for returning students unless they were already on our Windchill project last year.

Sincerely,

Noa

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Don't search. Just enter their email address directly. If you send me a PM with the addresses you cannot find, I can look into it for you. The search should work, but I am so used to just adding people by email address, I just don't ever stop to use it.

AddTeamMembers2Project.png

nrensing
5-Regular Member
(To:sm)

With some prodding from Scott (thanks!) I figured it out. From the team tab/folder you can use the pull-down Action->Add member. The dialog box comes up as a search box for "user", but there's a pull down menu where you can change from "user" to "all participants" (note this actually above it in the drop down list). Then, at the bottom of the dialog box, there is a text entry area where you can type or paste the known email addresses. You also need to make sure you select the right role, which by default will be "alumni member" ( presumably because of alphabetical order).

Note that this is a change from last year. Last year, when we entered an email address into the search box, it came up with the entry we were looking for. This may have been an unintended "feature".

NoaWindchill+screenshot+successful.png

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Okay, I didn't let this one drop. Can you please try again? User management at PTC and its connection to the various Windchill systems is a bit complex. I have been working with PTC IT and they have come up with a solution today.

All the users on your project team should belong to the "First" Organization as shown in the image below. As long as they are in the "First" Organization, you should be able to find them right away now.

wcprofile.png

Top Tags