cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Best way to start training college students to use CREO Parametric

mdristy-3
1-Newbie

Best way to start training college students to use CREO Parametric

I'd like to bring CREO Parametric into my 2-year tech college to start training our students to use CAD.  What is the best and/or most economical way for me to do this?  As an instructor, I already know how to use CREO, I just need instruction on the proper steps (step by step) for getting the software to the students and instructors.  I am also interested in any PTC e-Learning that would be available to aid in my instruction/classes.  Thanks, Mark

6 REPLIES 6
cadcam
12-Amethyst
(To:mdristy-3)

I am interested that there has been no reply to this posting. It would be really interested to hear various establishment's experiences with teaching Creo.

We have been teaching Pro/E-Creo for 18 years and in certain aspects finding it harder by the year. . Is this being seen elsewhere?

I am currently thinking of moving to Creo 4 next month and looking at significantly changing the teaching pedagogy, so I am  interested in other peoples experience with commercial or on-line teaching/learning tools. We have some scepticism that they tend to teach CAD as techniques rather than how to use CAD to aid/compliment your design.

In addition, we are again under pressure to look at other suppliers for CAD as there is a perceived move away from the big three in Higher Education Teaching. Are other establishments feeling any pressure? If yes what is driving it?

Regards

JB_87049
15-Moonstone
(To:mdristy-3)

I'm a lecturer at the Catholic University of Leuven (KU Leuven) where one of the courses I teach is Creo (ProEngineer since 1994, before that time we used GMS).

I've tried several methods to determine the most efficient way to get my students acquainted with PTC Creo Parametric.

In the beginning I wrote course books. Now I've created a simple kind of e-learning system.

At this moment it is only available in Dutch, but I'm planning to develop the new course material in both Dutch and English.

You can take a look at my website to get an idea of what it is all about.

http://technologiecampusdiepenbeek.be/home/index.php/cursussen/creo/

The FAQ is my way of answering to questions of students while they are working on their bachelor project which is the design of an automation machine (3D design and all the necessary technical drawings).

To give you an idea of what this is

http://www.ptcuser.nl/ptcawards/2016/3.0.O-ring_machine_totaal.jpghttp://www.ptcuser.nl/ptcawards/2016/3.0.O-ring_machine_totaal.jpg

I've setup a VPN-server and created an account for each of my students. This way they are able to use the same version at home as they do at the university.

Please feel free to let me know any remarks or comments you might have.

Best regards,

John Bijnens

http://technologiecampusdiepenbeek.be

cadcam
12-Amethyst
(To:JB_87049)

Many thanks, looks interesting. Is there any chance at being able to get access to one of your teaching resources to see more details?

I get the feeling that there are a large nnumber  of teachers/academics around the world spending a lot of time generating teaching material, setting up configurations and perhaps we should be looking at sharing experiences more and putting up suggestions re pedagogy.

I am happy to release our setup in a few days, once I can get to grips with the new popup menus!, if it would be of interest.

see Mapkey/Customisation for some info on the customisation we have been doing.

Regards

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay of my response... When you purchase Creo for the University you also gain access for you and the students to our eLearning platform. There are lots of resources there and you can also assign the eLearning to groups of students, check the progress and grades for assessments.

Regarding the teaching I can only guide you to take a look on How to Model Almost Anything, as we tested this approach on lots of students (K12 and University level) and it worked all the times. The approach is different then the European model, as it teaches first the "cool" stuff like mechanisms, assembly and after they are interested we give them the information regarding parts creation (concept, design...). This way they can see the reason for the parts, before they start creating them.

Let me know if I can help more on this topic.

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks Alex,  What are the proper steps (step by step) for getting the software into the college and then to the students and instructors.  (Confusion over this process may be the biggest barrier to actually moving forward with getting CREO in a college...)  Mark

Hi Mark,

The process is really simple:

1. For the University: You get in touch with the local PTC vendor or with out Academic sales team. You can write me an email with the location of the University and I can put you in contact with the person in charge with that area. After the purchase you will get all the needed information to install the server and clients in the University. Also you will get the eLearning account and from it you may add professors and Students to it.

2. For the Students there is the free Creo 3.0 Student edition and they can also get access from you to eLearning.

Thanks,

Alex

Top Tags