cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Boom technology

TimBrotherhood
1-Newbie

Boom technology

The Australian equivalent of D&TA for Queensland is INTAD. Browsing their web site, I stumbled across a curriculum project from Runcorn State High School on throwing sticks, also called 'booms' or boomerangs. http://www.intad.asn.au/documents/store/Boomerang_Unit_Plan.pdf

It reminded me of making booms as a boy with my dad and brother. In those days we cut them out of plywood and shaping was done using hand tools like planes and spokeshaves. Isn't memory amazing, I clearly recalled the airfoil section being reversed at intersection of the two arms, the increased pitch on one arm and lift at the tip.

This set me thinking whether the Freestyle tool in the Creo suite of 3D modelling software could be used to model a boom? I was amazed how easy it was! Less than ten minutes is all it took to create a shape that could be CNC machined which should fly well and 'return to sender'.

Boom_01.png

Experts will probably point out things I missed or got wrong but this quick model clearly shows how quick and easy it is to model shapes like this using the Freestyle tools in PTC Creo.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags