cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Cam toy

PeterSach
1-Newbie

Cam toy

Ok- here's the thing.  I've got some basic mechanisms going but I'm trying to get to grips (literally) with gravity and friction!  In the video example the "real world" cam toy the jaw is on a pivot and gravity pulls it down.  The top edge of the body being a bearing surface.  I've had a look in the PTC uni on line but I'm probably looking at it too much from a slightly fuzz craft point of view and I'm not getting the search string right!

Any all ideas please

Best regards

Peter

4 REPLIES 4

It looks like you have kinematic motion worked out.

Before setting up a dynamic analysis you must assign a material property to every component in the assembly.  Unless the parts have an accurate mass, the analysis will be invalid.  If any of the parts have the massive! default density it will prevent most mechanisms working at all.

You then run the analysis and playback the results.

Do I do that by assigning materials  in the  "Render" section or do  I have  to do it explicitly else where?  I've started a model that half works but I'm not getting the gravity to pull the cam follower down again.... I would like the weight to keep the  wheel on the  cam, and in an ideal world rotate!

Video Link : 6060

No render uses surface "appearances" whereas mass, density, strength, etc are set by applying materials properties,.To do the later. with a part open on screen, go to File > Prepare > Model Properties and then Materials > Change.  Double click on a material from the list and OK > Close to assign the properties to the part which you then have to then save. 

Normally there is no visible change when you assign material properties to a part so that you can make it behave like steel but look like red paint or plastic coated. 

It is possible to link an appearance with the material properties; for instance when you apply ABS material properties to a part which is going to be 3D printed, it also changes to look like the default grey ABS.  Rarely is this done because you will probably want it red, green, blue, etc.

Thanks Tim,

I had a play whilst on Jury Service.

Top Tags