cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Create a Drawing Template with prompts for title block entry

bpenza
5-Regular Member

Create a Drawing Template with prompts for title block entry

I've been struggling, creating a d-size drawing template with front-right-isometric views. I've got that all set but now I am trying to figure out how to fill in the title block information. I've seen some videos that show a prompted entry for those fields, but apparently I don't have those built in formats.

Can someone explain (simple step by step) how to build a drawing template that will allow entry for those fields and also maybe instruct how to add a school logo to the title block.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:bpenza)

In order to have intelligence in the formats (.fmt file), you have to build the format with tables. Any variable within a table can be either prompted or better yet, read information from the part/assembly files.

You can build some fairly complex tables that look like titleblocks in drawings. You can erase table lines, assign line weights (or colors), and you size and place them exactly. The hardest trick is to make a title optionally 1 or 2 line, but that is definitely next level stuff.

Any text you enter in a table prefixed with "&" becomes a variable as long as it follows the rules for variables.

On top of the tables, you can "sketch" lines and add text, and even logos (symbols recommended).

The next level you can add your well defined format to a drawing. These drawings can be made into "template" files even though they are still drawing files. You can preset a lot of information, including predefined views and view states. 1st master the format, and we can come back to the template.

No one goes into creating formats lightly. It is a serious effort and you will pull some hair out in the process. Having a plan and a layout will go a long way to making a format work for you.

Last note; when a format prompts you for information, the variable character for that field is lost. Typically (not always) the data for the format is included in the part or assembly files using relations (or just parameters). To restore the variables, you can re-insert the format in the drawing.

Let me know if you want an example format for reference.

bpenza
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Thanks Antonius, this is helpful. For any other novice checking this out, I did find a great introductory video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFIev5cRlW4 by Huu Huynh

Thanks.

Attached is a tutorial on drawing formats and templates created by consultant and Creo trainer John Forth. This explains how formats and templates work and the process of setting up your own layouts and title blocks. It was written for Wildfire 5 so some of the menus may have changed but the principles still apply.

Dear Sir,

Your attachment was a great help.

Now I am able to create formats/templates for parts and assemblies.

I shall be highly obliged if i get some guidance or somedetailed literaturer/ tutorial for Style functions in Creo Surfacing tools to create designs of complicated items etc.

With best regards,

S.K.Gupta

Student

PTC provides comprehensive e-learning through Precision LMS. You may be able to access this through your university faculty. Alternatively, students can purchase a discounted license in the PTC e-store.

Good luck with your studies.

Top Tags