cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Creo 2.0 and Intel HD 4600 graphics

nrensing
5-Regular Member

Creo 2.0 and Intel HD 4600 graphics

I am a mentor for FRC Team 2877 - The Ligerbots, and one of my tasks is to build our Creo skill base over the summer to put us in a better position for the next build season.

I have two nominally identical machines - Dell Optiplex 9020 with Intel graphics, running Windows 7 64 bit, purchased at the same time, identical hardware and nominally identical update history, similar software installed. I have verified that the graphics driver version is the same on both machines and that both installed Windows updates recently. We installed Creo 2.0 (M070) on one of them during build season (late January/early Feb) and the install went smoothly and everything ran fine (and continues to run well). Today I installed Creo 2.0 on the other one, and it wouldn't start up (gives a fatal error message). We had seen this before on other machines, so I created a config.pro file with the line "graphics win32_gdi". This allows it to start up as expected. Once it's running, I can set the graphics to opengl (using file->options->configuration editor), and it continues to run, and I can restore the last session and it will set the graphics to opengl and run OK, but I can't start it without the config.pro file that sets it to win32_gdi. The current version is M100.

I have three questions.

(1) Could this be a difference in the Creo builds? Can anyone suggest any other reason that the two systems would behave differently - other drivers, registry keys, etc?

(2) I see no difference in performance, but I only opened simple parts and assemblies. Is there a downside to using win32_gdi?

(3) Should I worry that Creo 3.0 won't run at all on these machines?

Thanks,

Noa Rensing

FRC Team 2877 - Ligerbots

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:nrensing)

I would suggest working with Academic Support on the startup failure. In this situation, we always suggest the following steps.

1. Perform all Windows updates
  2. Update graphics driver to latest release from the manufacturer
  3. Reboot as required
  4. Use the graphics troubleshooting guide
    http://apps.ptc.com/schools/references/support_creo2_graphics.pdf

Intel graphics cards are always problematic with Creo and PTC does not support them on Dell hardware.

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/135225/en/creo2_hw_notes.pdf

Its odd that M070 is working okay, but M100 is not starting. I'm hoping the Academic Support team will be able to help you diagnose this.

You also asked a few specific questions.

(1) Yes, there are always differences in each maintenance release of Creo

(2) Using Creo with graphics set to win32_gdi will limit the application to software rendering only. It will not use the native OpenGL on the graphics card. Its typically okay for a single part model, but you will see signifcant performance degredation as you move up in model/assembly/drawing complexity. This is a legacy mode used to isolote the graphics to the CPU only and is not recommended for production use unless it is the only way Creo will run due to shortcomings in the graphics card.

(3) Creo 1 and 2 are not "officially" supported on your hardware/graphics combination, so there is a good chance Creo 3 could be problematic, but there's no way to tell until its released and you try an installation.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I would suggest working with Academic Support on the startup failure. In this situation, we always suggest the following steps.

1. Perform all Windows updates
  2. Update graphics driver to latest release from the manufacturer
  3. Reboot as required
  4. Use the graphics troubleshooting guide
    http://apps.ptc.com/schools/references/support_creo2_graphics.pdf

Intel graphics cards are always problematic with Creo and PTC does not support them on Dell hardware.

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/135225/en/creo2_hw_notes.pdf

Its odd that M070 is working okay, but M100 is not starting. I'm hoping the Academic Support team will be able to help you diagnose this.

You also asked a few specific questions.

(1) Yes, there are always differences in each maintenance release of Creo

(2) Using Creo with graphics set to win32_gdi will limit the application to software rendering only. It will not use the native OpenGL on the graphics card. Its typically okay for a single part model, but you will see signifcant performance degredation as you move up in model/assembly/drawing complexity. This is a legacy mode used to isolote the graphics to the CPU only and is not recommended for production use unless it is the only way Creo will run due to shortcomings in the graphics card.

(3) Creo 1 and 2 are not "officially" supported on your hardware/graphics combination, so there is a good chance Creo 3 could be problematic, but there's no way to tell until its released and you try an installation.

nrensing
5-Regular Member
(To:sm)

Thank you, this is helpful, and I have also submitted a support request. Your answer raises another question. As noted, I can start the program with graphics set to win32_gdi, and then set the graphics to opengl using the configuration editor. When I change the setting during a session, does it then utilize the hardware graphics?

Thanks again,

Noa

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Yes, sorry about that. Its my understanding the graphics mode is set and initialized at startup and cannot be changed during the session. It may have changed, but that is how it has always worked in the past.

Top Tags