cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Creo 3.0 for FIRST is coming soon

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Creo 3.0 for FIRST is coming soon

PTC is planning to release Creo 3.0 for FIRST teams in August/September.

If you are planning some Creo software maintenance for the summer, you might want to put it on hold until PTC releases the details of Creo 3.0 for FIRST. The update will require a new software download and new software licenses, so please plan accordingly.

PTC is working on some new projects to greatly simplify the installation proces and also streamline the user interface to remove many of the features and capabiliites that are used very infrequently by FIRST teams. This work will not complete in time for the first release of Creo 3.0, but PTC plans to have them ready with the next maintenance release of Creo 3.0 expected in the fall.

Stay tuned and I'll let you know as soon as we have Creo 3.0 ready for download.

30 REPLIES 30
JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:sm)

Thanks for the update Scott!

Unite technology will be a huge benefit for next season! I just really hope we get Creo 3 in plenty of time to train on the new features!

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Interested in what's new with Creo 3.0? While we're finalizing the software, you can check out the documentation for a detailed review of What's New in Creo Parametric 3.0 using the online Help Center. Many of the udpate topics include short videos on PTC Learning Exchange to get a better understanding of the changes.

ptc-4827481
1-Newbie

Excellent! I was just teaching a student from my old team some Creo the other day, and mentioned that I needed to check when teams would be getting their hands on it. I'm glad we'll be seeing it in the very near future! We're particularly excited because parts of our team run Solidworks while the majority runs Creo, so this will make it significantly easier to do top-level work in Creo while letting our students and mentors use the software that they are comfortable with.

Can't wait!

mtepermeister
4-Participant

Are there any updates on when it is coming?

Thanks so much,

~Max Tepermeister

Creo 3.0 M010 is scheduled to be release on 29th of September 2014.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ptc-5498717)

This is the correct date for the commercial software. The PTC Academic team is working on specific academic versions of the Creo products, including Mathcad and expects to have them ready shortly after the release of Creo Parametric 3.0 M010. Let's keep mid-October as the earliest date it would be available.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

It sounds like PTC will have the student licensing issues resolve around the end of September. So 2-3 more weeks until the academic team rolls out the new software.

JoshH
3-Visitor

So last I heard, it was due out Oct. 15. How's that looking?

Also, what about licenses? I would expect we would need new ones. Is there still a "Schools" and "Academic" version? I have a couple of sites with license servers running the "Academic" license.

Thanks,

Josh

ptc-4647182
1-Newbie

Any news on the Student/Academic version? Sorry to sound impatient.

MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-4647182)

Patrick,

Very soon! We are currently in the process of writting install guides and making changes to our website. We'll make an annoucement within the next few days most likely.

JamesCollin
4-Participant
(To:MarkCheli)

Mark,

We are looking forward to this in Scotland.

We have been teaching using PTC products since the Scotland trial of Pro|E WF3 some year ago and then additionally as a teacher trainer.

We currently use Creo 2 Build M070 which are standalone licensed due to our networking facilities (or lack of);

Service Contract Number: Academic2

Release: 2.0

Creo Parametric Date Code: M070

License Name: CREOPMA_Academic2

License Version: 33.0

License Type: Education Edition, Node-Locked License

Server Name: NONE

I have 40 machines each with standalone license - with the retirement of Tim Brotherhood my principal contact - how will I get the software?

Rgds,

James

MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:JamesCollin)

Absolutely James! You can just fill out the request form from the link below:

http://www.ptc.com/communities/academic-program/products/free-software

We will get back to you with the information that you need. Also feel free to get in contact with us on the Schools Community or - if you have any questions.

JoshH
3-Visitor

I'm starting to get peppered about Creo 3 being available for download, but have not seen any communications about it. Are we ready? Is there still and "Academic" and a "Schools" license?

MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:JoshH)

Hi Josh,

Yes Creo 3.0 is now available for download and our official communications will come later on today.

We've split up Creo 3.0 a little bit differently to highlight the needs of our different user groups.

For K-12 the students now have PTC Creo 3.0 Schools Edition Standalone and PTC Creo 3.0 Schools Edition Lab.

University students can get PTC Creo 3.0 Student Edition Standard and purchase PTC Creo 3.0 Student Edition Premium on our e-store.

As far as the actual license options that are included in each package, they really haven't changed at all. We added Creo View MCAD to the Schools edition license and the new features that come with Creo 3.0. Besides that they should be functionally identical.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:MarkCheli)

Thanks Mark,

Does that mean that Creo Schools Edition Lab is a floating license that can be run from a server and includes Creo Manufacturing?

MarkCheli
6-Contributor

Josh,

Schools edition lab is a floating license, but it has the exact same features as the standalone version. It includes the lite version of Creo Manufacturing.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Josh, the full manufacturing and post processing solutions are only included in the University edition. The Student edition only comes with Expert Machinist and a single, generic post processor. If you need more of the advanced NC solutions and the ability to create and customize your own post processor, you can request a University license from the Academic tem.

JoshH
3-Visitor

I'll take a look at the student edition and see if that works. Team 1671 is completing their design for a CNC router with aluminum capabilities that they intend to use for doing a great deal of their FRC framework. Team 3970 has several CNC routers and will have similar requirements.

JoshH
3-Visitor

FYI..my install is failing. Maybe due to already having corporate WF5 installation? Maybe some local customizations/enviornment variables? Have you folks received any other feedback?

MarkCheli
6-Contributor

Josh,

No we haven't heard anything about the installer thus far. What's the problem that you are experiencing? If you're still experiencing an issue, send me an email at -

When I try to go to the download page, it says that I need to upgrade my account. Doing that requires a customer number that I don't have as I am a student. Can someone give a link to the correct download page?

Thanks so much! and I am sorry if this is a silly question.

nrensing
5-Regular Member

I installed Creo 3.0 by following the link above, but I think something went wrong. I can create new parts, but I can't open our team's existing parts because they "were created with an educational version".

Thanks,

Noa Rensing

FRC Team 2877 The Ligerbots

MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:nrensing)

Hi Noa!

Can you send me one of the parts? I'll see if I can replicate that same problem.

P.s. It was nice meeting you the other night at the Newton open house!

I'm experiencing the same problem re. not being able to open parts and assemblies created with Creo 2.

I've attached a zip - it happens when trying to open either part or assembly.

Thanks!

Dan Holt

#7300 Ashebots

BTW - I get the same error/message when creating a new assembly in 3 and then trying to include a part from the Tetrix Block Party KOP.

I'm still having this issue loading parts and Assemblies.

Any insights?

Should I uninstall/reinstall?

Our team's group computer has Creo 2 and some students had 2 and installed 3 on their computers and somw just have 3. I want to get us all in sync but since myself and some of the students are having trouble loading files, I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks,

Dan Holt

FTC 7300

MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:dholt)

HI Dan,

So the cause of this issue had to do with our licensing server for the first 36 hours after release. Any installations that took place after that should not have this issue.

In order to fix this, you just need to get a new license file. Reinstalling will generate a file for you or you can generate one online. If the ladder sounds more appealing, please let me know!

nrensing
5-Regular Member
(To:dholt)

I posted above that I had this problem, so I wanted to close the loop with an update:

(1) Thanks to Mark Cheli for getting Creo 3.0 working on my computer. It seems there was a problem with the license generation for the first few days. I had uninstalled and reinstalled but may not have removed all the license files, because it didn't fix the problem. Perhaps Mark can post instructions on what to do in addition/instead of the Windows uninstall, so the other "early adopters" can get a clean slate. Whatever magic he did, the Creo installation on my machine now has the proper academic license and opens our old parts and assemblies.

(2) I just installed Creo 3.0 on my son's computer using the original download and generating a new license file, using his PTC account and the license code in the PDF installation instructions. It also installed correctly as an academic version and opens our FRC parts and assemblies. (So whatever the problem was, it was not with the DVD image or the license code itself). I'm ready to have our students start installing it on their home machines.

I haven't used 3.0 enough to say whether it's going to be a problem to be using it at home with 2.0 at school, but I look forward to finding out...

Noa Rensing

FRC Team 2877 The Ligerbots

Top Tags