cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Creo Simulate-Frictionless support vs Symmetry

Ramax
9-Granite

Creo Simulate-Frictionless support vs Symmetry

Hello guys,

for Structural analyses, Creo (as most other FEA programs) offers a "Symmetric" constraint to facilitate computation of, well, symmetrical problems. What I don't get: How is this constraint different from just fixing (translational) movement orthogonal to the symmetry plane? If there were no difference at all, there would be no need for a separate "symmetric" constraint. Can someone help me out?

Thanx a lot.

2 REPLIES 2
Alex_Cazacu
17-Peridot
(To:Ramax)

Hello,

I guess that in some cases the interest is to see the deflection/strain in the parts/assemblies generated by the symmetrical loads. If we consider a larger assembly, or a part with complex surfaces, loaded symmetrically, the loads affect the part/assembly, even if they are symmetrical, so they can't be changed to a friction-less support. 

Thanks,

Alex

Hello Alex,

thanks a lot. From what I understand, you mean that in some cases a frictionless support would cause a loss of information. Unfortunately I think I still don't really get the point. What exactly is different with a frictionless support? (Could you maybe give an example?)

Thanks a lot again

Top Tags