cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Design of a monocoque chassis for a car

ptc-2654675
1-Newbie

Design of a monocoque chassis for a car

Hi, i am a mechanical engineering student. My project for capstone design involves designing a compact car with a monocoque chassis. If im using CREO 1.0 how do I go about the design. My lecturer said, there wouldnt be any possibility for me to design from scratch. According to him, I could call the parts of a monocoque chassis from a "library" and use if for the designing process. If the proper parameters has been set, the drawing and assembly would become parametric and I would be able to change and alter the design, shape and dimension of the designed car.

Is this claim by my lecturer true? If it is, please show me a way to access to a "library" and are there any tutorial that I could use, if i need to design from scratch?

I may sound a little noob, but please help me. I have tried googling many resources, however met with failure.

Thank you very much!

3 REPLIES 3

As far as I know, there is no such library of monocoque chassis parts. Your lecturer may have been talking about the AFX extension, many SAE Formula One teams are using this extension to quickly and accurately design their tubular chassis.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Adam

Thank you so much Adam.

However, I still do have a question. Does this AFX extension, work for monocoque chassis cars? If no, are there any other extensions?

The AFX extension will work for a tubular type frame like the one below. From my Google results of "monocoque chassis", it appears this frame is not like that so no, it would not work.

2006-05-09_005051_Frame1_small.jpg

It appears to me that a monocque chassis would be designed using standard Creo tools, just as most designs are created.

Top Tags