cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Dimensioning A VSP File in Parametric?

ptc-6716594
1-Newbie

Dimensioning A VSP File in Parametric?

Hello All,

I've imported a VSP file (from the Open VSP program) into Parametric, and now need to add dimensions to the model. The issue is, the model was added without any form of clickable data points (lines, points, etc), and therefore no way of creating dimensions. Any ideas? I hope that made sense...

8 REPLIES 8
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ptc-6716594)

I am not familiar with VSP, so I'm not sure if this is 2D or 3D. I'll give you some tips for both.

For 2D, you can bring the model into a drawing and make any dimensions you'd like. This is also true for a 3D model, but will limit your ability to document the shape to 2D views on a drawing. You can get more information on Drawings in the Creo Help Center by looking at the topic named "Detailed Drawings Overview".

For 3D, you can create Annotation features on the model to create dimensions, gtols and notes. They are always related to a plane in the model, but can be viewed from any 3D viewpoint. You can get more information on Annotation features in the Creo Help Center by looking at the topic named "About Annotation".

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:sm)

From http://openvsp.org

About OpenVSP

OpenVSP is a parametric aircraft geometry tool. OpenVSP allows the user to create a 3D model of an aircraft defined by common engineering parameters. This model can be processed into formats suitable for engineering analysis.

The predecessors to OpenVSP have been developed by J.R. Gloudemans and others for NASA since the early 1990's. On January 10 2012, OpenVSP was released as an open source project under the NASA Open Source Agreement (NOSA) version 1.3.

Thanks for the reply. When I click on the "About Annotation" link it brings me to a log in page. After logging in it tells me my account isn't authorized... Any suggestions? When I try to upgrade my account it asks me for a Customer Number, which as far as we know we've never recieved.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ptc-6716594)

Sorry, I answer a lot of customer issues also. You can find the same topics in your local Creo Help Center installation.

What format was it imported as? STEP, IGES, other?

The object (a small aircraft) was modeled in OpenVSP and then imported complete into Creo as an STL file. The problem is that Creo seems to recognize it as a single object, and when the student attempts to add a driven or reference dimension, nothing appears to be selectable. It doesn't seem to matter if On Entity or On Surface is selected, there just doesn't seem to be anything that Creo recognizes as a legitimate feature to attach the dimension to.

DimensionIssue.JPG

This is a faceted model so it doesn't have entities that Annotate can refer to.

You should be able to create datum points on the vertices and use those to create dimensions.

I would probably create datum planes and create a sketched datum curve that is referenced to the vertices. Then, in the sketch, create reference dimensions.

Thank you for the reply. As we gained understanding of the STL format, we were starting to go in that direction, but we then found an open-source program called MeshLab that can convert STL files to DXF, giving us vertices that are addressable by the CAD dimensioning system. It also has a nice quick-renderer and is quite easy to use.

Stephen Barner

South Burlington High School

Top Tags