cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Exporting OpenVSP files to Creo Elements Pro

ptc-4340934
1-Newbie

Exporting OpenVSP files to Creo Elements Pro

Hi!

My team has been working in OpenVSP while desigining our aircraft and is ready to start utilizing the model as a part and adding external/internal components via Creo Elements Pro. Previously, I believe, we have exported the VSP files as .stl files, and Creo has been able to recognize those. However, .stl files will not show up when we attempt to open them with Creo. What could we be doing wrong? Should we be exporting as a different file type? Or is there a seperate process to importing these files to Creo?

Thanks a bunch!

Kathryn DuFresne

Team Phoenix - Anchorage, AK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-4340934)

Got it! So it looks like there was a problem with how OpenVSP exported the file. The file that you attached did not have a file extension and thus Creo (or any other program) could not open it. All I did was edit the file name to have ".stl" at the end and voila!

Let me know if you still have any questions about what I did.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MarkCheli
6-Contributor

Hi Kathryn,

Fortuantly I think the solution to this is a pretty quick and easy! When you are opening a file you need to change the Type to All Files rather than Creo Files. An image of it is below.3-20-2014+1-03-58+PM.png

Please let me know if this does not fix the problem or if you have another question!

Hey Mark,

We did try this and our VSP files still don't show up..

Even if we ask Creo to look specifically for the .stl files, they still won't show up. I'm not sure how to remedy this, even though it worked last year.

Hopefully we can figure out what's up!

MarkCheli
6-Contributor

Hmmm that's interesting! Can you attach one of the files in this discussion? You can do that by using the "advanced editor" in the upper right of the comment section.

Here you go!

MarkCheli
6-Contributor

Got it! So it looks like there was a problem with how OpenVSP exported the file. The file that you attached did not have a file extension and thus Creo (or any other program) could not open it. All I did was edit the file name to have ".stl" at the end and voila!

Let me know if you still have any questions about what I did.

Sweet! It worked!

Thank you so much for your help, Mark!

MarkCheli
6-Contributor

No problem! Good luck in the competition this year!

Top Tags