cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

FIRST, first group discussion

JoshH
3-Visitor

FIRST, first group discussion

Welcome to the FIRST group! My name is Josh Houser, a mentor for Team 1671 in Clovis, California, as well as an MCAD administrator for Pro/E at Pelco.

I started this group to collaborate with other mentors using PTC products and to compare ways that other teams are using PTC products.

I'm always happy to answer questions (sometimes I even know the answer)

Hopefully we can get the PTC people here (ahem...Mark?), and get them involved as well. In my experience over the past several years, PTC has improved by leaps and bounds in their support of FIRST and I hope that we can continue to help them improve sponsorship of this fantastic opportunity for kids!

I look forward to discussing strategies for training, robot design, Windchill usage, team management, technologies and just about anything else to do with FIRST. First and foremost of my concerns is helping students.

9 REPLIES 9

Josh, It's great to see your support and passion in helping the students of FIRST. My hope is to see some of the great stuff the students are designing/creating using PTC products right here in PlanetPTC Community and at the same time providing the students with virtual mentors.There's a lot of potential and I'm happy to assist in any way I can.

-Dan

rsaitz
1-Newbie
(To:JoshH)

Hi Josh,

I'll gladly join this group. I'm Robin Saitz, and among meany other responsibilites, I have the great pleasure of being PTC's Executive Sponsor for FIRST. So I'm thrilled you started this group. I'm sure Sheila and Mark will join, too. They do a lot of the heavy lifting for our partnership with FIRST.

I, too, am a mentor for a couple of FIRST teams: FRC Team 2877, the Ligerbots (www.ligerbots.com), who will be presenting at the management forum at the PTC/USER event this wee (i've attached an image of their robot that they designed in Pro/ENGINEER). And I'm a mentor for my kids' FLL team #749, the Roboknights. In fact last night, the Ligerbots had their awards night and recognized PTC for their sponsorship. It was a great event.

PTC loves mentors, BTW. When we were in Atlanta, we captured some great videos of mentors talking about why they particpate in FIRST. Check this one out. there are a bunch more on YouTube.

Thanks for starting this group, josh. Look forward to great discussions!

Robin.

Hi Josh,

This is a great platform for mentors and partners to collaborate with one another about FIRST. I look forward to all the intersting posts and adding my views and comments.

Thanks for starting it.

Hope to see you next week at USER.

Regards,

Mark

Hi all,

Rob Colatutto here, lead mentor for FRC 1622, Team Spyder, out of Poway, (San Diego) CA. Unfortunately I am not at USER this week, but looking forward to having a good location to discuss FIRST for PTC using mentors.

Rob

That's great to see you on here Rob! Your team must have about the same experience as mine (Team 1671), Buchanan High School.

I really hope to collaborate with people like you and many others to improve the experience for the students. I'm even more excited now that you aren't even at the conference and already on PTCPlanet talking about FIRST! I have high hopes for this forum! Let's keep it going!

Josh Houser

MCAD Tools Admin

Pelco

Clovis, CA

Mentor

Team 1671

Buchanan High School

Clovis, CA

Hi Rob, glad to see you joined PlanetPTC and joined this group. Is team Spyder Dan Glenn's team, too? Is your team using Pro/ENGINEER and/or Windchill? Would be curious to hear about that.

Robin

Hi Robin,

Yep, Team Spyder is Dan Glenn's team as well. We do use PTC products, currently on Wildfire 4.0 (waiting for 5.0 to train new students) and we do use Windchill on our team. We only lightly used Windchill this past season, but are going to increase our usage significantly this year, now that we have a number of students with Pro/E on their personal computers.

Rob

Hey Rob,

I got to talk to Dan a bit at PTCUser last week. He gave you great kudos for the stuff you're doing on your team!

We used Windchill fairly heavily last season for storage. I'd like to use it more for discussions, issues and planning. We used Google docs instead, which is fine, except it's not likely that we'll really retain that information.

Anyway, great to see you on here Rob, I look forward to future collaboration!

Josh

JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:rsaitz)

Awesome stuff Robin!

I can't tell you how happy I am with PTC's sponsorship of this program! That's nothing compared to the excitement of my team when they see what they can do with PTC products!

Thank you and the whole PTC educational team Robin!

Top Tags