cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

FTC Tetrix KOP Updates to Eliminate "Ghost" Objects in Windchill

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

FTC Tetrix KOP Updates to Eliminate "Ghost" Objects in Windchill

Just learned the FTC Tetrix KOP had a couple of assemblies in it that referenced CAD files that no longer exist and needed to be updated before going into Windchill. As a validation step, Windchill will interrogate each CAD file to identify any and all dependencies it has. In some cases, Creo is okay with the missing reference and will continue working without any worries. Windchill on the other hand is not quite so forgiving and must be able to resolve all the references and dependencies.

When Windchill cannot find these references and dependencies to other files, they will show up in the workspace as a "ghost" object which is identified by the ripped document icon. This is a common issue for people working primarily on their local hard drive and then trying to push their CAD files into Windchill with Creo. Generally speaking, it's almost impossible to do this when Creo is always connected to Windchill since Windchill is constantly managing and monitoring these relationships and will not let you remove them.

These are the "ghost" objects which were showing up in the original Tetrix KOP.

ghosts.png

These are the offending assemblies in the original Tetrix KOP.

• tetrix_739177_cr_servo_2013.asm
  • tetrix_739376_2pc_motormnt_2013.asm
  • tetrix_739383_2013.asm
  • tetrix_739904-ser_hs-755hb_2013.asm
  • tetrix_739905-ser_hs-785hb_2013.asm
  • tetrix_739020_2013.asm
  • tetrix_739136_bat_8_aa_2013.asm
  • tetrix_739172_2012.asm

If you want to update these files in your local KOP, just unzip the archive attached to this document and move these files into the FTC_Tetrix_KOP-Block_Party\Tetrix_Kit_FTC folder. Keep in mind, Creo works off the # extension at the end of the file. These files have all been updated to # 50. If you have any files with a # ext higher than 50, you'll need to bump up the number of the new files.

We're working with CDS now to get the primary downloads updated and expect to have them online after the Thanksgiving holiday.

3 REPLIES 3
JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:sm)

Hey Scott,

I'm happy to see the PTC team correcting this issue.  I believe this is the best path.

I'm wondering if you could clear up a question I have.  I was able to delete these ghost parts before checking in.  I'm thinking there is a setting either in Creo or Windchill that enables this to happen that is off by default.  Do you happen to have a clue what this setting might be?  Perhaps it would be good to broadcast this one in case people have this conflict later on?

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

In my quick test, I noticed I could push all the files into Windchill by removing all the ghost objects and then ticking the box next to "Auto resolve incomplete objects" (which is the default now). However, the CAD files still had the references to the missing files and they would come back on a subsequent import or open action.

For me, I like to dig through the files and just "prune" the missing references in the Creo Reference Viewer. Then I know they are gone for sure and not coming back. There could be a new easier way to do this, but I'm still using the old tried and true. I'll do some homework on this and see what I can find...

JoshH
3-Visitor

Emil had mentioned that he couldn't delete the files from his workspace before checking in.  Perhaps there was a misunderstanding of the process, but I think I've seen it before.

Top Tags