cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Graphics cards replacement

JohnF
4-Participant

Graphics cards replacement

I have a sad tale to tell which may or may not befall others therefore I share it with you and hope someone can provide an answer.  Last week my old faithful AMD FirePro V4900 failed due to overheating because the fan failed. Finding out that is what had caused my m/c to crash turned out to be a detective story in its own right so no more on that.   Got a new card same make same model(?) installed it and configured with the latest drivers for same only to find PTC CREO 2.0 was very unstable and crashed the m/c.  AMD concluded a faulty card.  New card arrived installed and configured only to be presented by the same problem.  Eventually got it to behave by changing the graphics option in the config file to 'd3d'.  Works a charm, fast and stable, and all is hunkidory.  Check with Tim and find that, in CREO 3.0, Direct3D is not supported. What am I to do?  Upgrade or not upgrade that is the question. I think have another glass of Malt Scotch and think!!

3 REPLIES 3

‌Hi John, I suggest you install 3 as well, the dropping of Direct3D should not affect you and my bet is with the latest drivers for that card it will work even better than 2.0 using d3D and worse case is you can go to a lower setting such as win32_gdi

PeterT

JohnF
4-Participant
(To:PeterT_au)

Hi All

I have had to conclude that the new AMD card was incompatible with elements of my system, both hard and software.  I eventually had to ditch the AMD card and buy a slightly more expensive NVidia Quadro K620.  This installed just fine and all now works as it should including the recent installation of CREO 3.0  The bonus is that this new card has 2Gb of memory against the 1Gb on the AMD. I look forward to trying some rendering.

tbrotherhood
4-Participant
(To:JohnF)

Glad to hear you are now sorted John and able to continue your nautical pursuits.

Also, useful info for others upgrading their graphics card.  Thanks for sharing.

Top Tags