cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

How are new revisions of parts/assemblies created?

RWHahn
1-Newbie

How are new revisions of parts/assemblies created?

How are new revisions of parts/assemblies created (Version vs. increment)?  The online "PTC WindChill Help Center" indicates there should be a "Revise" option but I don't see it.

I've attached screen shots of the CommonSpace and WorkSpace views.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:RWHahn)

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the screenshots. That helped to clarify the problem!

The reason the Revise action is not available is because you are using a project context. Revise is not supported within Project or Program contexts. See the following for more information:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS31580

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc102_hc/index.jspx?id=ObjRuleObjectVersioning&action=show

Typically, objects should be revised within a PDM context and then updated within the project context (assuming that they are shared or checked out to a project).

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
dschenken
21-Topaz I

To go from say, 1.5 to 2 or to A you need to first 'Release' the current version using Set State. Be sure to get the parts and the wtPart because if you Release only the CAD part and not the wtPart you won't be able to create the new revision. The good news is if you miss the wtPart the first time, you can Set State to catch it up to the CAD part.

The wtPart is the file with the gear symbol vs. the blue cube for part and blue cube in yellow cube symbols for part and assembly respectively - correct?  Most of the parts don't have that (gear) so would have to make it.  Any easy way to make them in mass?

I set those at Released state and still no revision button.

The documentation shows an icon for Revision but I am not seeing that at all nor a Revision option in the New menu list.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

The wtParts are only a problem if they exist in a different status than their related part. Windchill otherwise doesn't care if they don't exist.

You need to have the item view to revise an item, not a folder view. Your attached document only shows folder views.

Also, I think you can create a new revision from Creo with File-> Check-in -> Check out and Revise. I'm away from the workstation, but I think that's where it is in Creo 2.

I tried the File>Check-in>Check out and revise and there is no Check Out with Revise option.

Even in the item view I don't see any sort of Revision option.

When I was using Windchill in industry, I thought I could change the revision several parts at the same which would be in the folder view.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Hi Robert,

Were you able to get this figured out? If not, could you provide a screenshot of what you are currently seeing when you attempt to revise (for example, a screenshot of the details page with the Actions menu expanded)? Are you revising the latest version of these objects?

I'd hoped you took this up based on the message I sent.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:dschenken)

I did. Unfortunately, it took a lot longer to get to it than I'd expected. Will do better next time!

Sorry for being away so long.

I still can not get Revisions to work. Files can be checked out and checked in but no history.

Here are screenshots from Creo Browser looking at the Workspace and the Windchill Cabinets. There is no icon for revision bumping nor anything in the dropdown menus.

Regards,

workspace_menu.PNGcabinent_menu.PNG

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the screenshots. That helped to clarify the problem!

The reason the Revise action is not available is because you are using a project context. Revise is not supported within Project or Program contexts. See the following for more information:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS31580

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc102_hc/index.jspx?id=ObjRuleObjectVersioning&action=show

Typically, objects should be revised within a PDM context and then updated within the project context (assuming that they are shared or checked out to a project).

The first link indicates to  "Launch Policy Administrator in the appropriate context". OK. How do I do that? Really simple step by step would be most appreciated.

This is a PTC hosted Windchill for FIRST (academic), so I'm not sure what can or can not be done.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Hi Robert,

You have hopefully figured this out by now, but Policy Administrator can be launched from the Utilities page of any context (product/project/library/organization/site). Depending on where you need to create the permission (within a specific product/org, or for the whole site), you would open the Policy Administration from that particular context > Utilities page.

7-19-2016 6-08-30 PM.jpg

I do not see a Utilities option in the Windchill environment.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Are you logged in as a site, org, or project/product/library admin?

Also, if you are still working in a project then there is no point in trying to open the Policy Administration since, even with setting permissions, you will not be able to revise your objects. Revising objects within a project is not supported even if you were to grant full control on the objects.The objects will need to be revised within a PDM context (product or library).

How do I check on how I'm( and other members of or team) are logged in?

As this is an FTC account hosted by PTC, I can add team members and admin that part but have no control otherwise.

Is there someway I can get into a PDM context?

Top Tags