cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How do I actually use angle offset in assembly mode??? Creo Parametric 5.0

Suremane25
4-Participant

How do I actually use angle offset in assembly mode??? Creo Parametric 5.0

I think my main question is why does Creo 5.0 not let me use angle offset in combination with a distance mate? I want to have an angle between two faces, as well as use an edge to fix the part in a distance from the base of the assembly. But I cannot select the edge to do a distance mate, it makes me select the whole face. And when I select the face it says the constraint is invalid because the distance constraint makes it parallel which takes away the angle constraint I applied. How do I select the edge in assembly mode? I have searched all over the internet for the answer and cannot. Apparently in Creo 3.0 assembly mode you could select an edge in a dropdown window when you are placing the part but Creo Parametric 5.0 does not have that.

I am very experienced with Solidworks and have only about a month into Creo. Creo is very un-intuitive to use and doesn't flow quite as well as Solidworks. Also there's not much documentation on Creo which isn't helpful at all either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Of course you can use a distance constraint with an edge. First of all: Don't let the system choose the constraint in automatic mode. Select the constraint you want to define (distance) in the pull-down list Constraint Type in the right window. Then select a surface or plane from the assembly item and an edge from the component item. To select an edge, just move your mouse over the edge. Keep it still and do one or more short right mouseclicks to choose between alternative geometrie. You can also hold the right button over an edge to see a selection list. Simply left click the edge, when it is highlighted. Thats all... a distance constraint with an edge.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Can you show a picture of your assembly, please?

Suremane25
4-Participant
(To:Biaglas)

Suremane25
4-Participant

Of course you can use a distance constraint with an edge. First of all: Don't let the system choose the constraint in automatic mode. Select the constraint you want to define (distance) in the pull-down list Constraint Type in the right window. Then select a surface or plane from the assembly item and an edge from the component item. To select an edge, just move your mouse over the edge. Keep it still and do one or more short right mouseclicks to choose between alternative geometrie. You can also hold the right button over an edge to see a selection list. Simply left click the edge, when it is highlighted. Thats all... a distance constraint with an edge.

Suremane25
4-Participant

Ah I see. I was assuming there was a way to it seems illogical to not be able to. I have a few years Solidworks experience and have been having minor issues with Creo the past couple of weeks I've been learning it. Right clicking was not an apparent option to me, Solidworks would automatically assume when hovering over an edge, you would like to select the edge lol

Anyways, thank you for your answer! I was scratching my head on this one and it was an easy solution.

You're welcome. It's pretty difficult to learn PTC Creo by yourself. There are a lot of hidden methods like the right click selection or chain selection, which are difficult to use, when no one can show you.

But I'm glad that I could help you.

Suremane25
4-Participant

So you would recommend proper training. Are there classes I can take locally instead of online? I am in the Chicago area.

Yes, I would recommend a training. You can search for trainings here:

http://support.ptc.com/apps/ext/training/search.jsp

This one could be interesting for you:

http://support.ptc.com/apps/ext/training/course.jsp?id=TRN-5126-T&location=Chicago&selectedCourseLang=en

This one I would recommend for you, if you want to learn advanced techniques:

http://support.ptc.com/apps/ext/training/course.jsp?id=TRN-5102-T&location=Chicago&selectedCourseLang=en

Top Tags