cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

How to Create STEP file with Colors from Creo Parametric?

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

How to Create STEP file with Colors from Creo Parametric?

A number of folks have asked about how to create a STEP file from Creo Parametric that maintains the assigned colors on the models and assembly components. By default, Creo Parametric uses AP203_IS as the output format for STEP files. If you change this to AP214_IS, the exported STEP files will maintain their assigned colors.

To change this, go to File, Options, Configuration Editor, Find... enter "STEP" as the search string and choose Find Now. Scroll through the list of options until you find STEP_EXPORT_FORMAT. Change the value to ap214_is then chose Add/Change and Close. After choosing OK, you can decide whether or not you want to save this setting in your default config.pro file or just save it for the current session.

To validate, use the File, Save As, Save a Copy action to create a new STEP file from your current model or assembly. Just chose STEP(*.stp) from the Type menu. Now you can open the new STEP file by changing the Type option to STEP (.stp, .step) in the File Open window to confirm all the colors are present.

9 REPLIES 9
MarkHolschuh
3-Visitor
(To:sm)

Thanks Scott.  This is very helpful

ckeller
11-Garnet

This would be super awesome if 214_IS was an option...

these are the options listed as far as I can tell... do you mean AP214_DIS ? or maybe the list has changed since then?

Thanks for the post - at least I know I can test it and find one that will work.

2016-11-16_15h17_07.png

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ckeller)

Ah, typo in my original posting. You are correct. the STEP_EXPORT_FORMAT should be set to "AP214_DIS".

ckeller
11-Garnet

I found that out.  and also found that my client had less trouble importing the geometry of AP214_DIS.  no missing surfaces, no holes/gaps.  🙂 thanks for the post!

hhagedorn
6-Contributor

Thanks for this posting.

I am also currently working on this topic: Export formats.
Because we always have problems with customers.
These always report that only scrap arrives on the foreign system.
For this reason I have looked for and found this post.
-> Can you therefore help me and tell me whether the format ap_214is is not supported by Creo 2.0?
Because you have already established that in the export options only ap_214dis is to be found.
-> And if so, what is exported when in the config.pro ap214_is is set?
Thanks for you help.
bnielsen-2
4-Participant

"AP214_DIS" isn't an option in Creo 2.0 (evidently).

The available options are:

AP203_IS

AP202_IS

AP203_IS_EXT

AP209_DIS

AP214_IS

AP203_E2

The '214' maintains some colors, but colored other parts of the model red (my original model was yellow and gray, some of the red surfaces were originally yellow, and some were originally gray).

Suggestions?  Thoughts?

TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:bnielsen-2)

Any idea why there's no such option in my Creo 7? Did it change, or is it hidden somewhere? I've gone through all options to no avail.

TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:MartinHanak)

Thanks. I've found that out myself yesterday.

Top Tags