cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to assign a material

JoeHigham
5-Regular Member

How to assign a material

I'm working through the part modeling exercise in Section 2 of "How to Model Almost Anything", and I can't figure out how to assign the material (brass in the example). Tried Applications->Simulate which launched Simulate Lite. I think I managed to assign brass to the part, but whenever I try Analysis->Mass Properties I'm getting the default density of 1 Kg / mm^3.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShannonStuart
5-Regular Member
(To:JoeHigham)

Hi Joe,

1. Go to the File tab and then the prepare tab, here you will find Model Properties

2. The top of the form will have Material Properties and on the right is the Change link

3. Click the Change and then pick a material and double click on it

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ShannonStuart
5-Regular Member
(To:JoeHigham)

Hi Joe,

1. Go to the File tab and then the prepare tab, here you will find Model Properties

2. The top of the form will have Material Properties and on the right is the Change link

3. Click the Change and then pick a material and double click on it

JoeHigham
5-Regular Member
(To:ShannonStuart)

Thanks - that gets me farther!

However, after selecting METAL_BRASS and then clicking OK in the Material Definition dialog, I get an error dialog with the message "Parameter PTC_CONDITION is not defined. The material is invalid."

You will only see that message if you have opened the properties of the material (to edit). If you are simply assigning the material, you will not.

The message is referencing the empty Surface Condition parameter seen here in the Miscellaneous tab. To fix the warning message, you can simply add text that describes the surface condition in the text box and save the material.

9-20-2013+8-02-35+AM.png

JoeHigham
5-Regular Member
(To:AdamHaas)

Material assignment and Mass Properties are both working now - thanks again!

Top Tags