cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to import and work with .stl files?

kcy0511
1-Newbie

How to import and work with .stl files?

FIrst let me say I am new to PTC Creo but I have used other CAD programs such as Inventor.

We recently obtained an EKOCYCLE 3D printer and were looking for things to do with it. I found a model of Falco from Star Fox as an .STL and showed it to my mentors who told me that I should see if I could remove the gun from his holster and replace it with a wrench. I did that though a combination of Meshmixer and Meshlab. Afterwards I was told that I need to remove the disc from his other hip. The STL is linked below and I can attach other files if that will help.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:652635

What I am trying to ask is can I import an stl to a solid part? If so, How? Also, what tools and commands help me work on meshes?

Thank you in advance.

Side note: I am trying to use this as an exercise to learn Creo as our team plans on switching over later this year.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:kcy0511)

All you need to do is drag-n-drop the file into the Creo graphics window or just use File, Open and change the Type to All Files. It looks like you do not have the required license to edit Faceted Geometry in the Student Edition of Creo. That said, it looks like all you will able to do with the file is open it, view it and save it in other formats.

Importing facet geometry and editing is an advanced capability of Creo Parametric and is not a good baseline of moving from Inventor to Creo. I would suggest looking at the curriculum named How to Model Almost Anything in the Document section of the Community.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:kcy0511)

All you need to do is drag-n-drop the file into the Creo graphics window or just use File, Open and change the Type to All Files. It looks like you do not have the required license to edit Faceted Geometry in the Student Edition of Creo. That said, it looks like all you will able to do with the file is open it, view it and save it in other formats.

Importing facet geometry and editing is an advanced capability of Creo Parametric and is not a good baseline of moving from Inventor to Creo. I would suggest looking at the curriculum named How to Model Almost Anything in the Document section of the Community.

rtrivisonne
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

Hi, I'm dealing with somehow a similar issue.
I have some .stl files representing some robot parts and I would like to assembly them and then evaluate the motion of different joints.
But I have some problems already at the assembly step: actually I want to use some constraints to be more precise, but apparently I am not able to apply them, and I suppose it's due to the format.
I tried to make some conversion from Mesh to Nurbs to have a solid body, but I'm still not getting it.
Do you have any advice or solution ?

Thank you in advance,
Raffaella

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:rtrivisonne)

I would not try to use STL imported parts as accurate, geometrical models. They can be used for visual representations, but not assembled with constraints or modified with parametric features. You should either find a STEP file or remodel the item in question as a new parametric model.

If you chose to remodel, just import the STL and create parametric geometry on top of the STL without creating any references to it so you can delete it at the end of the process. It will be best to make extensive use of the Measure capability to approximate the size and location of the various features from the default datum planes.

rtrivisonne
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

Thank you for your answer,
So basically I have to recreate a new parametric geometry, based on my stl file, and I suppose I have to do it manually since there's any default function, isn't ?

By the way thank you again and have a nice day
Raffaella

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:rtrivisonne)

Yes. The only other option is to find the same geometry in a different format or find a 3rd party application that will create a STEP or IGES file from STL.

Top Tags