Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning Connector issues (?)

Peridot

Learning Connector issues (?)

Has anyone else been told by customer service that a script error in the Learning Connector is caused by Internet Explorer 9.0?

Twice now, a Java update has causes errors with the online help part of the Learning Connector. This is a fairly recent occurrence but very persistent. The 1st time I contacted CS and when they connected to my computer it magically fixed itself (something to do with remote desktop... or something else not disclosed)... anyway, a few days later, another Java update installed and the problem exists again.

This morning I get awoken to tell me that this is an IE9 issue and I need to downgrade to IE8 (This is a factory install of IE9 on Win7)...

Last time I tried downgrading IE I lost a bunch of functionality. It basically toasted my entire OS (Windows XP IIRC).

Is PTC really that far behind their programming efforts that they cannot even keep up with browser updates? Is their XML programming really that fragile? This just reflects very poorly on the fit and finish of PTC once again.

Anyway, anyone else get the same "solution" from PTC or CS?

learning_connector_error1.JPG

If you have this issue, please post here.

60 REPLIES 60

Re: Learning Connector issues (?)

In case some of you IT gurus can decifer the issue, this is the error that is logged in the Learning Connector:

Thu Feb 28 22:43:04 GMT-800 2013 com.ptc.labs.connector SEVERE: Timeout while calling https://www.ptc.com/cs/help/creo_hc/creo20_hc_lc/index.jspx?format=json&search=Search&task=RESULT&de...
com.google.gwt.jsonp.client.TimeoutException: Timeout while calling https://www.ptc.com/cs/help/creo_hc/creo20_hc_lc/index.jspx?format=json&search=Search&task=RESULT&de...
at Unknown.Exception_0(Unknown Source)
at Unknown.TimeoutException_0(Unknown Source)
at Unknown.run_1(Unknown Source)
at Unknown.fire(Unknown Source)
at Unknown.anonymous(Unknown Source)
at Unknown.apply(Unknown Source)
at Unknown.entry0(Unknown Source)
at Unknown.anonymous(Unknown Source)

Antonius,

try to clean IE cache.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Thanks Martin. I'm afraid that didn't fix it.

Seems a more recent Java update corrected the Learning Connector error. Glad I didn't have to try to install IE8.

The Saga continues!

I get a wake-up call from CS... I again get told that IE9 is not supported. Yesterday, I was again/still having errors. After again requesting the information, I received an e-mail on how to uninstall the IE9 update assuring me that a restore point can bring me back to where I was. to top this off, I am asked to let CS know how it went! Shouldn't this process be vetted by CS 1st?!

We're going on 4 weeks now including an update to Creo and still no resolve? Is IE9 really that problematic that it is not mainstream? The Learning Connector is one of the applications that we pay maintenance for, right? Shouldn't -at least- that be kept current with IE?

And to top that, this afternoon, the Learning Connector is functioning again.

I'm sorry, but last time I uninstalled IE, my system became terribly unstable never to be recovered.

PTC, this needs to be acknowledged and fixed!

I'm not using LearningConnector so I'm unable to test, but if your error log is correct, you're getting a time-out requesting a JSON result of a search query - nothing to do with IE8/9/10 as far as I can tell, I'm not a great web programmer but I've seen some .js in my day. Any problems with your internet lately? Unless ptc.com has been really slow lately, that shouldn't happen.

Thanks David. I honestly think the issue is on PTC's end. The problem is sporadic. When I query the failure I go to PTC with the failed link and get a page full of irrelevant search results, almost like a full buffer.

It is funny because PTC says their software is compatible with IE9, yet on the requirements for learning connector, it only supports IE7 and IE8. I say PTC needs to get its act together as the learning connector is a selling point for maintenance. It is really poor form for a company to take your money and not adequately support what you are paying for. I would be happy to help the development peeps if they just accept it. But the service tech hasn't submitted an SPR and told me it is a "known issue" but cannot provide me with an expected resolution date.

I am running IE on a cable modem and the PC is wired to the router at 100mb/s. There should be nothing on my end not functioning. Java is updated regularly with automatic updates.

I like having in-context help, but when it is not functioning, I have to minimize the help portion of the learning connector.

Hopefully this is the final note on the subject.

Yesterday I get an email from the elearning library team on my issue and they tried to tell me I don't have the elearning license... and I know that. And that is not the issue I reported... I ask again, do people really -read- our support cases thoroughly enough to understand the issue?

This morning I get a call to confirm that the issue was on PTC's end and that this is now resolved (YEA!).

So I go to the new support applet to see the resolution so I could report it here. What do you know, this case does not list in any of the supprt case applet! So now I have a new case to find the old case status

Anyway, thank you all for your help in this matter.

IT'S BROKE AGAIN!