Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning Connector issues (?)

Re: Learning Connector issues (?)

Hi Darcy,

I've actually resolved the issue with the Creo embedded browser not reporting IE11 correctly. I was missing 4 registry settings from the this node:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION]

Once I got them added, the browser started behaving. However, Learning Connector still doesn't start. So, what looked like a promising avenue is not actually the cause of the problem. I just wanted to update the group in case others where thinking this was the root of the problem.

I'm still awaiting contact from Tech Support and a Tech Support Manager. Hopefully, I'll hear from the shortly.

Thanks,

-Brian

Hi Brian,

I am checking in with Technical Support to see where this is at. (Sorry for the delay with replying here. I was on vacation).

I noticed that the following registry key was not present and passed this on to Technical Support:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation]

"AllSitesCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000000

This is similar to your finding. Please check for missing "Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation" under each registry group. And also look "Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation" since you are running the 32bit version of IE inside Creo on a 64 bit machine.

I do think that part of your problem was that your browser was embedding itself in IE7 compatibility mode. We know that Creo Learning Connector will not work in this state. But it looks like there is an additional problem.

I am sorry the problem is still persisting for you. To review, when you say Learning Connector does not start, does this mean you do not get the same script error as before and that you are getting a blank learning connector screen? Can you also update us with your latest user agent string from the embedded browser by using this URL: http://www.whatsmyuseragent.com/

I'll touch base with Technical Support this morning.

Thanks

Darcy

Here's the latest User Agent Information:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko; Wildfire NoTrail; ProE-Datecode:3302014000)

I'll try those registry settings... thanks Darcy!

-Brian

Darcy, please know that by default, IE is the 32 bit application in Windows 7 64 bit. The 64 bit IE is seriously limited in functionality. If your developers overlooked this, this is a serious error on the part of PTC.

Antonius,

The default is 64bit IE in 64 bit Creo on Windows 7 64 bit edition. However there are various reasons the 32 bit IE may be embedded instead of the 64 bit version.

First note the default IE on 64 bit Windows is the 32 bit version of IE. This decision, made by Microsoft, is explained here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2009/05/29/q-a-64-bit-internet-explorer.aspx (This is counter intuitive...)

I am running the 64bit Creo 2 M1120 on Windows 7 with IE11 and it embeds the 64bit IE by default. You can change this though. For example, you could install the 32 bit Creo on the same machine and it will embed the 32 bit IE. As well, you could have windows_browser_type set to ie_in_sep_process which would launch the default IE on Windows which is 32 bit as explained above in Microsoft's FAQ. See: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS35423 for more info on windows_browser_type.

Running the 32bit version or 64bit version of IE embedded in Creo should not impact Creo Learning Connector. We test these configurations each release. However having the Compatibility mode set to IE7 as indicated by the previous user agent string is a problem.

Brian's latest user agent string looks good. But it appears he is having a different problem with starting Creo Learning Connector. Brian and I are coordinating a time to get together by phone to figure this out. We'll share our findings here.

Darcy

That is certainly not the answer I was given by Dell. This was a few years ago but I found it odd that the 64 bit IE was buried in the programs and that the default browser was 32 bit. Almost no extensions to IE worked in 64 bit. Since Dell is a significant contributor to PTC's approved platforms, one would think this would be included. My computer is a PTC certified Precision laptop.

I hope you get it worked out with Brian and for future support cases. I know that I never got to enjoy the Learning Connector as I should have been able to as a benefit of re-upping my maintenance. You will find numberous entries in my support history having this very same problem. Never was the 64 bit option mentioned. The service simply remained sporatic.

Everyone at my companyis on a Dell Precision with Win7 but we usually have access to the learning connector. From within Creo2 M110 this is what that website shows I am running:

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; Wildfire NoTrail; ProE-Datecode:3302014090)

The learning connector works about 90-95% of the time with the 5-10% having a sporatic connection issues where it times out (like EVERY other PTC program we use from this Forum and logging tech support calls to PDMLink, Change Management, Creo and Learning connector...ALL have consistant or sporatic timeout issues).

As a side note, almost 100% of the time that I submit on these forums the website hangs I loose my text, must refresh the webpage and then I paste it from the clipboard (because I always copy text before submitting since I know it will loose it). Timeout errors seem to plague PTC software.

I am having this problem as well, and it has stumped me for a while.

Creo 2 M120 - IE 11 (although it did it with IE9 as well)

Recently my LearningConnector stoppt working on XP64 with Creo 2.0 M110 and IE8. The error message is "LearningConnector is unavailable." and "Try again". https://precisionlms.ptc.com also does not show up in the embedded browser (IE8) but "Welcome to Learning Exchange!" works.

Everything was fine some days ago. "Precision" is still working with other browsers running separately on the same workstation.

Have attached screen shots. Stopped "Precision" running on IE8?

Jan

LearningConnector_window.pngLearningConnector_embedded_browser.png

Jan/Brian,

I am getting the same ERROR. We are running Creo 2 M100, PDMLink 10.2 M020, and IE11.

It sounds like it is a huge issue as I thought it was just our company's settings.

Did you guys get a fix for this yet?

Lance