cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

License Identification Error

ballt
4-Participant

License Identification Error

When attempting to use the product code BK600908EDSTUDENTEDUNI in the Simple License Entry in the PTC Installation Assistant, I am presented with a single "Error!" message and no details. I have previously used this license and was running Creo Parametric 6.0 with no issues for months on my University's network. Just recently, I moved to a different network and am connecting to my university network via a VPN and the license stopped working. I receive the Status "Invalid file or format" for my existing license that worked on the previous network.

How can I fix this license or download a new one for use on my home network?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:ballt)

@ballt wrote:

Martin, 

In response to your 4 questions:

1.] 

I do not know why BK600908EDSTUDENTEDUNI_license.txt contains licenses generated for MAC address 00-50-B6-8A-02-2F. I have not seen this anywhere else.

2.]

I have been using this license since 25-FEB-2020 with no issues. I only developed problems when I attempted to use the same software on the same laptop but on a different network.

3.]

I read through install_creo6_unistudent_standard.pdf and followed the instructions exactly. I have uninstalled all PTC products from the machine, removed all files from C:\ProgramData\PTC\Licensing and I re-downloaded the DVD image (MED-100WIN-CD-430_###_Win64.zip) to start from scratch. When going through the instructions, I get all the way to the last step but instead of getting a "success" message, I receive "error". There is no further information on what is causing the error.

4.]

I disabled all network cards and rebooted the PC before attempting to reinstall any software. I have attached an image of the error and the results of ipconfig /all > ip2.txt.

Hi,

1.] ip2.txt contents

If I were you I would disable:

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection ... 8C-85-90-15-5C-72

and also all "hidden" Network Connections

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2 ... 8E-85-90-28-D8-07
Tunnel adapter isatap.{B944CEAC-E376-44E7-B054-ADDE9791F57C} ... 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12 ... 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

2.] ip2.txt contents

If I were you I would disable IPv6 protocol for

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi ... 8C-85-90-28-D8-07

3.] if nothing of above helps, then

email your request to academicsupport@ptc.com and to akarim@ptc.com (Abdulkarim, Abdul).

Explain them that you need BK600908EDSTUDENTEDUNI license for MAC address 8C-85-90-28-D8-07

---

If you receive email containing license file, save it to local disc and install Creo 6.0 once again.

Do not enter Product code, instead of it put path to license file into Source field.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

I have previously used this license and was running Creo Parametric 6.0 with no issues for months on my University's network.

• Do you have license file used in this era ? Look into old emails and into C:\ProgramData\PTC\Licensing directory.
  • This file contains MAC address ... is this MAC address available when you are connected via VPN ?
  • By default Creo installer fetches MAC address of local Ethernet network card -OR- WiFi network card. When VPN network card is available, Creo installer can be confused by this.
  • Please run ipconfig /all > ip.txt command in Command Prompt window and upload ip.txt file.

NOTE: Status "Invalid file or format" usually means that your license file does not contain license code. Please upload file mentioned in the picture.

Martin Hanák
ballt
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

I have attached the ip.txt file, however when attempting to upload the license .dat file I am receiving an error on this website (community.ptc.com) saying "The attachment's bk600908edstudenteduni_license.dat content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed."

I am not sure exactly what this means or how to provide you with this file.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@ballt wrote:

I have attached the ip.txt file, however when attempting to upload the license .dat file I am receiving an error on this website (community.ptc.com) saying "The attachment's bk600908edstudenteduni_license.dat content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed."

I am not sure exactly what this means or how to provide you with this file.

Hi,

you can make a copy of bk600908edstudenteduni_license.dat and rename it to bk600908edstudenteduni_license.txt. Then you can upload bk600908edstudenteduni_license.txt.

NOTE: If I were you I would disable all network cards (physical and virtual) except Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi network card (Physical Address: 8C-85-90-28-D8-07) and uninstall/install Creo. This procedure should force Creo installer to generate license related to MAC address of WiFi network card.

NOTE: If you need to upload file(s) with unrecognized extension(s), you can also pack the file(s) into zip file and upload this zip file.

Martin Hanák
ballt
4-Participant

Martin,

Here is the license file saved as a .txt. 

I disabled all network cards except for the one mentioned with physical address 8C-85-90-28-D8-07. I am still receiving the errors mentioned in the first message.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@ballt wrote:

Martin,

Here is the license file saved as a .txt. 

I disabled all network cards except for the one mentioned with physical address 8C-85-90-28-D8-07. I am still receiving the errors mentioned in the first message.

Hi,

1.]

BK600908EDSTUDENTEDUNI_license.txt contains valid licenses generated for MAC address 00-50-B6-8A-02-2F ... do you have any idea why ?

2.]

BK600908EDSTUDENTEDUNI_license.txt was generated on 25-FEB-2020, can you explain, why the date is 1 month in the past ?

3.]

Please read uploaded install_creo6_unistudent_standard.pdf once again carefully.

4.]

Uninstall Creo 6.0.

Move all files from C:\ProgramData\PTC\Licensing directory somewhere else.

C:\ProgramData\PTC\Licensing directory must be empty !!!

Disable all network cards except for the one mentioned with physical address 8C-85-90-28-D8-07 and reboot PC.

Run ipconfig /all > ip.txt to see current network card "situation" (you can send it to me).

Install Creo 6.0 ... use BK600908EDSTUDENTEDUNI Product code

If installation finishes well, then you will see new license file in C:\ProgramData\PTC\Licensing directory. Inside it you will see HOSTID=PTC_HOSTID=8C-85-90-28-D8-07 text.

Good luck.

Martin Hanák
ballt
4-Participant

Martin, 

1.] 

I do not know why BK600908EDSTUDENTEDUNI_license.txt contains licenses generated for MAC address 00-50-B6-8A-02-2F. I have not seen this anywhere else.

2.]

I have been using this license since 25-FEB-2020 with no issues. I only developed problems when I attempted to use the same software on the same laptop but on a different network.

3.]

I read through install_creo6_unistudent_standard.pdf and followed the instructions exactly. I have uninstalled all PTC products from the machine, removed all files from C:\ProgramData\PTC\Licensing and I re-downloaded the DVD image (MED-100WIN-CD-430_###_Win64.zip) to start from scratch. When going through the instructions, I get all the way to the last step but instead of getting a "success" message, I receive "error". There is no further information on what is causing the error.

4.]

I disabled all network cards and rebooted the PC before attempting to reinstall any software. I have attached an image of the error and the results of ipconfig /all > ip2.txt.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@ballt wrote:

Martin, 

1.] 

2.]

3.]

4.]

Hi,

1.] ip2.txt contents

If I were you I would disable:

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection ... 8C-85-90-15-5C-72

and also all "hidden" Network Connections

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2 ... 8E-85-90-28-D8-07
Tunnel adapter isatap.{B944CEAC-E376-44E7-B054-ADDE9791F57C} ... 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12 ... 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

2.] ip2.txt contents

If I were you I would disable IPv6 protocol for

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi ... 8C-85-90-28-D8-07

3.] if nothing of above helps, then

email your request to academicsupport@ptc.com and to akarim@ptc.com (Abdulkarim, Abdul).

Explain them that you need BK600908EDSTUDENTEDUNI license for MAC address 8C-85-90-28-D8-07

---

If you receive email containing license file, save it to local disc and install Creo 6.0 once again.

Do not enter Product code, instead of it put path to license file into Source field.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags