cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Making a simple mould from an object

TimBrotherhood
1-Newbie

Making a simple mould from an object

PTC Creo can perform Boolean operations on shapes and subtracting an object from a block of material creates an exact negative or mould.

Mould_transparent.png Finished Mould.png

The attached document explains how to do this.

16 REPLIES 16

Hi Tim

perfect timing on this one as this is the sort of thing we were thinking about trying with our pupils.

thanks again for the lesson

Jeremy

sorry Tim

just a quick question, I can't seem to find  'Component operations', where is it in the drop down?

thanks

Jeremy

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:TimBrotherhood)

where is PTC_COIN_MOULD.ASM?

Cant get it to work even with "default_ext_ref_scope: all" and "Components permitted for external reference: all".

Still get the error message: "The selected entity is external. It cannot be backed up"

Sorry for not seeing this sooner, not sure what happened to the e-mail alert.

The Component Operations tool is in the Model ribbon > Components group. It's only available when you have an assembly open in Creo.

I just uploaded a Zip of the Creo models.  You shouldn't need to alter the config.pro

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Thanx Timothy, sadly I cannot open the contents of your zip files ( "educational edition"). Im still wondering why I cant do it due to earlier described error. I tried to do it with skeleton solid models, still same error.

The component operations command is only available in an assembly and located in the Model > Components group in the drop-down at the bottom of the group.  Can you see the command in the menu?

Component_ops_menu.jpg

Which version are you using, it's possible your license doesn't include component operations.  It might be part of the advanced assembly module.

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

I do have component operations command and I do have AAX .

Oh well..

So does the error message appear when you first click Component Operations?

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

No, at step two.

thanks.

Try this:

Use Component - Moulds: In assembly mode bring in and fix(or default) the first component/√/bring the component to ‘use’ and position using constraints (ensure it’s FULLY CONSTRAINED)/Component/component operations/cut out/select the component to receive the cut – the biggest part/OK/select the component doing the cutting/OK/done/done/return/hide this latter component. NB the cut out is retained on the first component so if you want to use it again in its original form ‘SAVE AS’ FIRST. (ii) you can only use parts like this ONCE!

Regards,

Bob

R J Booth

PTC CAD Trainer

CADAM Services, 19 Green Meadow Road

Weoley Hill, Birmingham B29 4DD

0121 4756814

http://communities.ptc.com/community/academic-program/schools-program?view=photoAlbum

Hi Tim,

The timing of this is just right as we are wanting to produce moulds for our injection molding machine to produce jewellry.

In a discussion today I was asked if Creo has the abilty to produce a 3D model from a drawing as can be generated in ArtCam and the recent RhinoEmboss?

The use of an image on a work plane as a guide to modeling the item from scratch using Sketch/Extrude or Freestyle/ProConcept was deemed too involved.

The hope was to introduce this as a project from Whit onwards.

Any suggestions advice welcome.

Regards,

Jonathan.

I haven't seen the ArtCAM or Rhibno techniques so cannot comment on those.  There are apps that will create a point cloud/surface model from multiple photos but the resulting model is unlikely to have the dimensional accuracy or editable geometry of a parametric model.

I am surprised by the comments that sketches on datums are too involved.  Have those commenting seen the freestyle demonstrations like the vacuum cleaner nozzle on YouTube?  A search for 'Creo freestyle' has loads of examples.

Hi Jonathan

As Tim says I can't see any problems with bringing in the sketch, we do this with our year 7s to poduce pencil toppers and jewelery, they find it quite easy to sketch round using spline tool or freestyle.

then to convert it to a mould is quite straight forward from then on.

hope this helps

Jeremy

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Allright, couldnt let it go and finally got it working!

In my case I had to change two settings to get it to work in CREO 2:

1. file --> Options --> Assembly --> Components permitted for external reference: all

2. file --> Options --> Configuration Editor --> IGNORE_ALL_REF_SCOPE_SETTINGS YES

Do not save these settings because you will get in trouble later with dead references.

cheers.

http://communities.ptc.com/message/230368#230368

08-Jan-2014 02:38

Creating a mould cavity

have alook at this thread of mine, hopefully you will find the answers there, below is a mould and guard made for a trophy model.guard.jpgmold2.jpg

I will pass this on,  especially since you refer to year 7's, the teachers in question have year  8 classes.

Regards,

Jonathan.

Top Tags