cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

MathCAD 15 Software & License Transfer (New Computer)

ptc-4452255
1-Newbie

MathCAD 15 Software & License Transfer (New Computer)

Hello, in 2012 I purchased MathCAD 15 (for download, so I don't have a CD). I just got a new computer and want to transfer the software & license over rather than having to buy it all over again. I just recieved the e-mail with the license (.dat) file I requested, but I don't have the MathCAD software on my new computer to start the process (again I downloaded, so no CD). Is there anyway I can be sent another e-mail with a link to download the software again? I have the order details from my initial purchase such as the order number and product code if needed. Thank you for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-4452255)

That's the full installer. The only difference is the license.

The license is locked to the computer. Specifically, it's locked to the MAC ID of the primary network adapter. So unless you provided information specific to the new PC, the license file they supplied would be a copy of the one you already have, for your old PC. Download and install Mathcad. During the install it will automatically start the license wizard. In the license wizard tell it you need a new license file (the old one will NOT work on the new PC). You will need to log in to your PTC account to complete the request. Add a comment that you are moving Mathcad to a new PC, and they should send you a new license file by e-mail. You then need to run the license wizard again to point it to the new file (C:\Program Files (x86)\Mathcad\Mathcad 15\mclicense\mclicense.exe)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

You can get the latest version of Mathcad 15 here: http://www.ptc.com/product/mathcad/free-trial/thank-you

If you haven't yet installed it, how did you acquire the license file?

Thank you for responding so promptly. The link you sent is for the trial version - are you saying that I download the trial version and then it will become the full version when I provide it with a license file? I asked someone at PTC for a new license (since I thought I needed a new one to install mathcad on the new comp.) - they asked me for my product code and I provided it.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That's the full installer. The only difference is the license.

The license is locked to the computer. Specifically, it's locked to the MAC ID of the primary network adapter. So unless you provided information specific to the new PC, the license file they supplied would be a copy of the one you already have, for your old PC. Download and install Mathcad. During the install it will automatically start the license wizard. In the license wizard tell it you need a new license file (the old one will NOT work on the new PC). You will need to log in to your PTC account to complete the request. Add a comment that you are moving Mathcad to a new PC, and they should send you a new license file by e-mail. You then need to run the license wizard again to point it to the new file (C:\Program Files (x86)\Mathcad\Mathcad 15\mclicense\mclicense.exe)

Got it running! Thank you for your help - to answer your questions I did request a license for my new computer specifically (I provided them with the Host ID).

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

One thing to check. Go into "help", "e-books", "Data Analysis Extension Pack". Under "Preconditioning Data" select "Principle Component Analysis". Scroll down and check that the Nipals function executes OK (there are many other possible functions that could be used for this check, this is just the one I use). If it does, the extension packs were also licensed correctly.

At this point you should backup the MC15 installer, your license file, and purchase information such as product ID and sales order number to a safe place. Hopefully you will not need it for a long time, but computers can sometimes be fickle

You are lucky I noticed your post. I only watch the Mathcad forums on a regular basis. I happened to notice your post in the recent activity, before it vanished off the bottom of the screen. Typically, that happens within a few hours. In future please post all questions relating to Mathcad in the Mathcad section of the forums, regardless of whether it's a technical question or a licensing issue, or anything else. If you post there it's almost certain someone in the Mathcad community will catch it and help you.

I clicked on "Principle Component Analysis" and it shows the screen explaining the Nipals function, but after between 5-10 seconds an error screen pops up multiple times, which says "Failed to lauch server application." At this point it exits back to the main Mathcad sheet.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That's not a licensing issue, it's some other problem. What OS are you running?

Windows 7 (64 bit)

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That's what I'm running, so there shouldn't be any problem. If you look inside the license file does it have entries for the extension packs?

Nothing that I can see relates to extension packs. Maybe because it's an educational license?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Nothing that I can see relates to extension packs. Maybe because it's an educational license?

Maybe. I don't know what the educational licence includes. If you want an answer to that, you need to start a new discussion in the Mathcad Forums. If you do that, please include a hyperlink to this thread so that the context of the question is clear.

Top Tags